Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Default Photos from mazda 5!

here are the photo of our tyres that I forgot to attach in last post.
Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-damage-tyre-1.jpg

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-damge-tyre-2.jpg

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-damge-tyre-3.jpg

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-looks-legal-.jpg

Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Spotted my fronts have bad wear on inside, yesterday, called the dealer where I bought it and have had it serviced, they are happy to charge me for a geometry check (£90+vat) and two new tyres (I didnt ask for a quote) but no offer to even talk to mazda UK about getting some goodwill.

Very frustrated as about 18 months and 16000 miles ago they adjusted the geometry and put four new tyres on under warranty (I contributed 50% to the tyres as they had done 17K miles at thet stage). As far as i am concerned whatever they did, if anything has not sorted out the fronts. I need to check the rears to see whether that has been sorted out, fingers crossed.

My car is an 06 hence officially out of warranty but clearly they didnt solve the problem when it was in warranty but they would even talk about it being warranty. So much for customer service, for a buyer that has purchased a new car and had all servicnig done at the same dealer. I know the dealer is a business and that they dont want to do anything because they wont get the money back from Mazda UK but it has left me with a very sour taste. I didnt have this sour taste after two different Honda's.

Based on what I have seen on here there seems to be no point trying with other dealers/Mazda UK direct so I will be buying 2 new tyres (from a local small garage or via internet) and then selling the car before the next service is due.

Have been very pleased with the basic design of the car but this issue and an annoying rattle somewhere in the driver seat belt mechaism which they also failed to cure during the warranty period mean I wont be staying with Mazda.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Default Shocks can't take the strain.

Rear shock blown now!

My tyres looked just like Tigger's in the previous photo's and my passenger front burst whilst on the M5 (fortunately no one hurt) btw. Two free independent geometry tests revealed.... nothing. Geometry spot on.

Just one thing for all you 5 owners. Keep an eye open for leaking shocks. My 5 is 17 months old with 22k on the clock. Rear passenger side didn't just leak; it dumped all over my unblemished drive. Mazda dealership will replace FOC. Seriously thinking of selling this car on. I've never had a car suffer such extreme tyre wear let alone a shock fail so badly. It’s probably all related to the geometry. I hope Mazda sacked the guy that developed the running gear on this car. Or the other bunch who didn’t test it properly. (Sounds more like an IT project) Whatever next?

2.0 Petrol Sport Luxury pack.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM

Hmmm on the last service when mine was in warranty they replaced a rear shock - claimed it was causing the rattle in the seat belt mechanism which unfortunately the level of the service people at Tun Wells Mazda.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Mazda Campaign - A chance to be heard??

Hi everyone,

I have been reading through your posts. Even though i do not own a Mazda 5, I sympathise for everyone. I own a Mazda 6 2008 version, on 2 occasions this car has nearly killed me - firstly, my tyre valves blew up without warning & secondly my engine over-ran nearly killing me in an instant hitting 100mph+ before i got it to stop.

My tyres on the 6 have near enough completely worn out and yet i get the blame for driving in a wrong manner. Ok now to my anger and which led me to start a campaign.

With my tyre valve snapping, Mazda dealers & Mazda Motors uk did not care and blew this off! by saying i had bad curb damage to my alloys, i have pictures to prove i had NOT hit the curb, but yet they write me letters with out of warranty repairs because of sufficient evidence of curb damage?

This is the big one & I won’t go too much into detail, my engine over-ran which just means without warning the engine revs hit MAX and being in 4th gear in a 2.0tdi the speed picks up real quick, hitting 100mph I see a sign 700yrds away from a roundabout i was forced to switch the engine off at that speed and swerve my way over the lanes to avoid hitting the roundabout, coming so close to hit these cars and nearly going down a ditch (as the brakes and steering go heavy when the engine is switched off) - coming to Mazda’s explanation!

1. I am not driving the car how it should be driven
2. I am only doing short journeys when the car is designed for long journeys only
3. I didn’t check the oil levels & we have proof to say so by looking at the dip stick (funny that, because RAC last checked it when I broke down)
4. I ignored all warning lights (I have proof to say no warning lights were on)
5. I must have gone to the petrol station and filled my engine oil up with diesel which caused the engine over-run... excuse me?
6. I did not read the hand book which states how the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) works; I got heavily questioned on this subject.

Honestly, I can go on. I have been without my car for 10 months now and its sitting on my drive un-drivable mainly because me and my family are NOT getting in a car that can/would kill us. I have a strong set of research and public that is already backing me up in relation to Mazda UK's assumptions & money grabbing techniques.

Like the rest of you, i have contacted VOSA (no joy), watchdog, all newspapers you could think of, VSA, Japan, Directors, managers etc. One thing I have got some luck in, is my local MP. I told him about my Mazda campaign and he seems interested in it but I need a mass of emails describing everyone’s problems, what happened and what response they got from Mazda if any.

As I already have emails coming through already I am still in the process of designing the campaign site which should be up in a week’s time or so, but mean while you can visit it at: www.mazda-campaign.co.uk and print off the flyer if you can or just read through it, it has our email address on it.

I STRONGLY believe if we all come together we can make our voices heard! And force Mazda to recall all of these problems before someone gets seriously hurt. I am willing to go to any length even if it means flying to Japans head office to put everyone’s points across; all I need is everyone’s support and evidence.

If you cannot visit the site, please email on: contact@mazda-campaign.co.uk

Thank you & i look forward in hearing from you.

Mehdi - www.mazda-campaign.co.uk

Last edited by medievil2008; 04-13-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 04-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Default Lets get the names of people that know at Mazda UK

Tigger has done the correct thing and we all should follow. Your tyres could have had a catastrophic failure by delaminating as we see they had started and exposed to easy puncturing, yet the main footprint was well within legal limits. I too dealt with Dunlop by talking and e-mails about what has or has not been done with the 2050 tyres no but unable to get hard evidence . Watchdog must have quite a folder now under 'Mazda5 tyre wear' that is a potential program.
Well done for being honest goes to Toyota and Honda, it will not put me off looking at a Verso or a FRV.
I have had a thought for the collection of information here. As Mazda UK always 'claim' they known nothing of this, even in court I believe. Can the administrator here make a list or poll of the following:--
The names of the people we have dealt with at Mazda UK (not the garages).
The names that I have dealt with are:-
Mr. Robert Hancock = Customer Assistance Manager replied to me, my MP and SMMT (Theresa Howell = Motor Codes Officer).
Carole Lacey = Case Manager Mazda UK

We need this list of people that anyone of us can call as witness's when the time comes as these people are aware of this issue 'after the fact' of being made aware of this front tyre inner edge wear on even new Mazda 5 Sports. I am willing to be a witness with the information I have and letters from SMMT and MP etc.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:23 AM

Hey GXX600,

Your exactly right. I started my campaign as above for that exact reason. Where Mazda UK do not listen and never take us seriously a similar file to a case file should be made. This is why, on www.mazda-campaign.co.uk if register and input your problems including what you have found out, phone number etc this will eventally build up a large enough file with enough contacts on it under a campaign name to make Mazda UK do something about our problems, once and for all!

Please have an interest, if we all stick together we can get somewhere.

Last edited by medievil2008; 04-19-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Thankyou medievil2008. When I get the chance I will log on or register there and I intend to give you or the campaign all the support I can. I have letters, photos and information that support my/our claims.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Hi everyone, Been reading the current posts and I have registered onto the mazda campaign. Thank you to medievil2008 for taking the time to set up the campaign. I will aim to get my story and photos etc onto the site tomorrow.
Just to add to our story we received a recall letter from Mazda regarding an engine mounting problem. We should have received the recall in 2008 and only got it last week! How incompetent and negligent can a company get!!!!
Lets just hope that someone realises this is quite a story and this goes public as I'm sure there are many Mazda 5 owners who are unaware of this problem. Our neighbour is one of them and was shocked at the state of our tyres.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Smile keep the pressure at the higher end

Well I have had a real good inspection of my front Continental Contisport3's today. They have held up well. I have done over 12000 miles and the inner edges are fine and I still have, on average, just under 4mm. I have had generally between 36 and 38psi for their life. The rear tyres (the same make, 1 month older) have a little more tread. I am very pleased with these tyres' performance and will definitely get the same again.
Do look at your manual for guidance and the instructions on the side wall of your tyres before your decide what pressure you will have. I believe manufacturers actually give lower pressure values than you would want in reality because it gives a softer and smoother ride while you drive around sedately in the test vehicle. They want you to say, '...oh! what a smooth ride...'.
This is just my opinion and you alone must decide or make the judgement about the pressure you actually want.
I believe the higher pressure mitigates a lot of wearing but does not cure the cause of course. See my previous post about the tyres.
Unable to add pictures I get , 'P1000462.JPG:
Upload of file failed. '

Attached Thumbnails Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-p1000461.jpg   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5-p1000462.jpg  

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 05-14-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5