Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

wrxseeker 09-24-2008 09:31 AM

RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Nick - thanks for the reply.

The sticker inside the drivers door pillar says 33psi front for normal & 35psi fully laden.

Mine were 33 till a couple of weeks ago but I upped them to 35 before we went on holiday in it (full). They are still 35psi (cold).

Checked the tread and is as follows at 4800 miles of mixed driving:

NSF: 1cm from outer edge - 2mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2mm, Centre - 7mm

OSF: 1cm from outer edge - Just under 3mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2.5mm, Centre - 6.5mm

Obviously I would expect the NSF to wear more because of roundabouts etc.

From my login you can probably guess,my own car isan Subaru Impreza WRX and this doesnt wear its tyresany morequickly.

I attach some pics to try and show the wear better: -Attachment 6649

What to you think ??Attachment 6650

Cheers

Darren

kbaby77 09-25-2008 02:29 PM

She said they were changed sometime last year by mazda. They had it serviced in July 2007 an tyre depth was taken during that service (i remember seeing 7mm on the details, but cant remember what else) at that service it had done 21k miles and now its at 36k miles. Ill have to check them with a tyre gauge and see what depth they are now.

I called the garage they had it serviced with but they couldnt give me any specific details apart from to say they were aware that people had problems and they were replacing tyres for anyone effected with bridgestone. They said it was because the engine was too heavy for the tyres to cope with and it was even worse on diesel engines now the new mazda had different spec tyres and suspension changed.

AD4M 09-26-2008 06:54 AM

Hi ,
Had my new tyres on Tuesday, Mazda have said this is a permanaent fix, and that no one has been back since they have made these changes. lets hope this is it !!!!!!

AD4m

Dads_Taxi 09-26-2008 11:14 AM

Do you know what they've done to fix it though? And have they done anything with regard to the front wheels?

Dave.

S1mplicity 09-26-2008 02:20 PM

RE: UK 2008 Mazda 5 Sport - Tyre Wear ??

Over 4500 miles now, tyre wear looks fine, and appears to pretty even both front and back, so far I have no worries about tyre wear on the new 2008 model sport diesel, will put another 2K on next month so will report back then.

wrxseeker 09-26-2008 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here's the latest pictures of mine:

Checked the tread and is as follows at 4800 miles of mixed driving:
NSF: 1cm from outer edge - 2mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2mm, Centre - 7mm
OSF: 1cm from outer edge - Just under 3mm, 1cm from inner edge - 2.5mm, Centre - 6.5mm

Obviously I would expect the NSF to wear more because of roundabouts etc.-Attachment 6648 What do you think ??http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...4092008048.jpg Cheers Darren

NickC 09-27-2008 02:17 AM

I've just measured ours.

6555 miles.

The centre of all four tyres is 7mm

The outside was measured in the centre of the first bend in the tread and all four tyres are between 3.5 and 4mm.

It'd be handy if someone could measure a new tyre so we can see the difference.

JOQS 09-29-2008 10:56 AM

Had the tyre wear test done on my 5 sport petrol 1st week of nov 07 now nearly 1 year on after several visits 2 the dealer im still told they are waiting for the results from MAZDA UK . 11 months to sort out , come on MAZDA UK

S1mplicity 09-30-2008 02:09 PM

Those pictures look spot on, the tyre wear is about right

Just read this to put your minds at rest

"Current tread depth legislation requires that car tyres must have a minimum of 1.6mm of tread in a continuous band throughout the central ¾ of the tread width and over the whole circumference of the tyre. However, despite the law, it is generally recognised in the tyre industry that the legal limit is an extreme. Many tyre manufacturers state that they design tyres to function as well at 1.6mm as they do at 9mm (the accepted normal tread depth when new). That is a surprising statement for any tyre company to make, but some have said just that."
So we can estimate that the tyres should last 20,000 miles, thats not bad the Merc B series lasts that long, obviously driving conditions will bear a little on wear, but really I believe that on the new Model tyre wear isn't an issue.
http://www.checkthatcar.com/Image1.gif
I have used Dunlop Sports previously and found them not to last as long as other tyres.

BCNorth 10-05-2008 10:54 AM

We have an 08 GT model (we're in canada) and have put 12,000 km's on it since early April - about 7500 miles give or take, and our tires are great, I see no real wear worth mentioning...