Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/)
-   -   Tyre wear on UK Mazda5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/tyre-wear-uk-mazda5-20951/)

Dads_Taxi 09-18-2008 02:17 PM

RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

I would think you have done the right thing - making Mazda UK aware of the problem yourself should spur the dealer on to doing something on your behalf, if only so the dealer stays in Mazda UK's good books!

I hope you hear something positive soon.

How many miles have the tyres done? I reckon Mazda UK are assuming normal wear for front tyres to be around 18,000 and contribute as a proportion of that (so for example if your tyres are wrecked at 9,000 they might contribute 50% of the replacement price)

Dave.

AD4M 09-19-2008 04:40 AM

I'm having all 4 tyres replace this Tuesday after 13000 miles on my 07 Mazda 5 Sport petrol, Mazda are contributing 50% towards the fronts and 70 % for the rears but still left me with a bill for £238. They have said they now have a fix for this issue, so; fingers crossed this is the last time I have to deal with it

Dads_Taxi 09-19-2008 04:11 PM

Hi Adam,

please would you ask your dealer on Tuesday if they have a fix for the front tyre wear, or are still only admitting to the rear tyre problems?

Thanks

Dave.

kbaby77 09-21-2008 05:18 PM

:DSlightly different query to those of you who are experinencing prolems on tyre wear.

I was about to buy a 5 sport tomorrow 55 plate and thought I would see how users found the car. After reading ll the bad reports about the tyres i'm now unsure if buying one would be the wisest thing to do. I do really like the cars.

My car would not be covered under any manufactures guarentee so I would need to pay for any repairs etc myself. Based on this should I still buy one? and if so how could I get the tyre uneven wear problem sorted out and a private garage?

Sorry for the questions but I was all set to buy one and now i'm quite disapointed to read the reviews. Dont know what to do.

Grumpy 09-22-2008 05:12 AM

I would strongly recomend against buying a Mazda5.

It is good car with great features, when it works properly.

However it is the most problematic car I've ever owned.

It has been back to the dealer for warranty issues more than all my previous car together.

It has let me down more times than all previous cars together.

If you're interested in the Diesel the DPF is a real pain.

The service desk staff at my local dealer know me very well from the number of times I've been in, I've had EVERY fault on the Mazda5 reported on this site plus some others. As they clean the car each time it's in for repair I've only had to wash the car about a half a dozen times in 2.5 years.

In summary

DON'T DO IT?

NickC 09-22-2008 02:42 PM

Don't take the views of one person on a forum as they tend to attract people who have had problems and lets face it all makes of cars can have the odd Friday afternoon lemon.

The tyre wear issue only appears to affect the 17" rims, so if the car you want is on 16" you shouldn't have the problem. If it is on 17" rims and the tyres are half worn and seem to be worn evenly then the car should be ok. Make sure you get on your knees and inspect the inner part of the tread carefully.

If the car has new tyres then I'd be a bit suspicious. See if you can contact the previous owner, if it's someone who's had Grumpy's experiences then I'm sure they'd let you know.

I haven't owned the 5 for long enough to say it's fantastically reliable but I've had no issues so far and for the class of car it's INMHO the best out there. It's my 5th Mazda and I've had no reliability issues with any of them. My last car was an RX8 which if you look on forums has a few common faults but I can honestly say I had no faults whatsoever.

kbaby77 09-22-2008 04:41 PM

Thanks for the advice.

We went and looked at it and the tyres are worn slightly, but all over. No signs of uneven wear. Got on our hands and knees and really checked them over. So they look ok. They were goodyear tyres and not the dunlop factory fitted ones. We managed to have a look at the service details and could see that the car had had a service in 2007 and tyre thread checked.
We called the old owner who said the tyres had been changed once last year free by mazda, but she didnt know of any issues that her husb had had with the car and they had found it a very reliable car and circumstances dictated they change the car.

The only question with what she said does throw up though is; she said mazda changed the tyres free last year, which would mean they were changed at 20k miles. It seems odd why mazda wouldve changed them free when they had driven 20k miles!
if they are the only other set of tyres the car has had and they were changed last year then they look pretty good and havent worn as previous posters have indicated.

Think I may call the mazda garage they had it serviced with tomorrow tojust check that its only 1 set of tyres the car has gone through.

wrxseeker 09-23-2008 08:11 AM

Hi I have 2008 2.0d Sport and I still think my front tyres are wearing excessively on the inner & outer edges.

See this therad: https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_79748/tm.htm

Now up to 5000 miles and I cant see the 1st 1cmof the edges having any tread at all by 10000 miles.

Still it will be serviced around that timeso I won't raise it with the dealer nowbut willsee how bad they are then.

NickC 09-23-2008 02:05 PM

We're at around 5000 miles and couldn't really say they've worn more than expected or more on the edges. I'd expect to get around 20000 from the front's, as front wheel drive diesels do tend to be a bit heavy on front tyres due to the torque. Pop to Halfrauds or another parts supplier and buy a tyre depth gauge. They're only a couple of quid and we could compare our tyres as we seem to have a similar mileage.

kbaby77
, Mazda wouldn't have changed tyres with 20000 miles on them, FOC. How many miles has the car done since they were changed? The car may have had the alignment done and all is now OK but I'd check carefully before parting with any cash. I hope it works out for you.

NickC 09-23-2008 02:08 PM

Just a thought, I'm sure you have already, but check your tyre pressures with an accurate gauge. 32psi all round.