Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Turbocharger Recall - Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Default Turbocharger Recall - Diesel

Hi,

I took my 2.0D Sport in for it's first service today and was told that my car was also due for a turbocharger recall. The service desk person didn't know much else as nothing else was written on the paperwork but I am mildly concerned about what they want to do.

I did some googling and found a lot of reports of major engine failures on the common rail diesels, although mostly in the 6 rather than the 5, but I think it's the same engine. Those reports talk about cracked intercoolers, failing turbos, insufficient lubrication and total engine destruction from anywhere between 40k miles and 100k miles - with a typical cost of around £5k to fix. I was wondering if there was any relationship between the recall and this problem? Apparently there are also some issues with injector seals and high pressure fuel pump failures, and I noticed on the list of recalls for the M5 and M6 on honestjohn.co.uk that the M6 with common rail diesels have a TSB for changing injectr seals.

Anyone know what they are doing for the recall, and anything else to look out for?

I raised a couple of issues while I was there as well, not sure if anyone else has had them?
1 - misting up of rear light clusters after heavy rain or washing
2 - rear brake discs showing signs of corrosion as if they are not being used strongly enough

Thanks
Garry

Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 PM

We had new turbo fitted to ours a few weeks ago due to the MIL light coming on after momentary loss of power. I was a bit dubious about their diagnosis but it all seems OK now.
Don't worry about engine failures. Keep an eye on your oil level and have it serviced at the correct intervals and you shouldn't have a problem. All manufacturers have engine, pump and injector seal failures not just Mazda and I'm sure there are some very high mileage Mazda 6s out there as they're popular rep mobiles and taxis.