Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Turbo or Cambelt....

Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Default Turbo or Cambelt....

Hi guys, i have a bit of a strange one.
I bought my 5 off Ebay 3 months ago, and its a bit off a long story that is kind of irrelevant here so i'll keep it simple.

Basically, about a month ago, i noticed a very slow oil leak, mainly when the engine was hot after a drive, from the front passenger side bumper (UK model).

Now i know bumpers dont leak oil, and the turbo intercooler is a common issue on most diesels. I already had it booked in for a cambelt change, and asked the guy to look around the turbo to see what the issue was there.
However, after he changed the cambelt, on the test drive, the turbo blew and went into Runaway apparently and has damaged the engine.
Now the problem i have, is the mechanic was very sheepish, (he even offered to fit an engine for free if i could buy one).
The first thought i had in my head was a bodged cambelt change and the easy blame on the turbo.
I have two choices. The car was under the statutory warranty period of 3 months, and we all know Turbo dont suffer from wear and tare in a matter of a week or two. The underlying fault would've been there for a while. Either way it would be covered under the warranty. The Ebay seller, is lets say, not very honest, and Ebay in particular would be very interested in the way he avoids his 10% seller fee's.
But what i need to know, is how would i know which party is the correct one to chase?
I told the mechanic i was considering an RAC inspection to help chase the ebay seller, and his face went a very pale shade of white. IS there a way i can narrow down whether the turbo was at fault, or whether it was a bodged cambelt?
When i say 'I', i mean someone with literally no knowledge of car engines.
Would trying to start the car give any clue? Or is there something easy i can look for?
When considering what a runaway incident is, i would expect there to be very little oil left in the engine, especially if it was enough to destroy the engine. But when i checked, it was at a normal level.
If he managed to stall the engine before a noticable amount of oil was burnt, then I've been told the likelihood of destroying the engine is very low. Its that correct?
If he hadn't been so sheepish, and so 'helpful' towards me going for the seller, then i wouldn't be suspicious, as i have used him for a few years and has always been very honest.
IS the RAC inspection my best option?
Thanks for all your help