Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tow bar and wiring kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Default Tow bar and wiring kits

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but i have failed miserably in trying to find a sensibly priced single electrics kit & tow bar for my Mazda 5 TS2 (2008)

Cheapest i can find is way over £300 fitted and am wondering if anyone knows where i might be able to buy a full DIY kit from, searching the net is just totally confusing!

Have a competent colleague who will fit for a reasonable price.

Thanx Robbie
West Sussex

Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Default Reciever hitch for bike rack & roof racks

I'm in the process of buying a new Mazda5. I'd like to set it up with both a roof rack and a rear bike rack. I'd love any advice folks have about which setups are best. I've decided against the manufacturer roof rack - heard it's ugly and also probably not as versatile as a Yakima, Thule or Saris. I have several specific questions:

1) Has anyone purchased and installed a Curt receiver hitch for their bike rack set-up? If so, are you happy with it. Does anyone have any other recommendations on hitches? Also the weight of the hitch itself going to be much of an issue - slow me down or reduce mileage much?

2) Does anyone have any specific recommendations or specific pros and cons on hitch mounted racks? I need capacity for three or maybe four bikes.

3) Any recommendations on roof mounted racks? We'd be using it primarily for a box on summer camping trips. It would get a certain amount of use on trips to the local hardware store/lumber yard as well.

Thanks, Susan

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 AM

Susan, best not to use your email address as a username....you'll be spammed alive.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Default bike racks

[quote=susanmorrison7@gmail.com;104652]

2) Does anyone have any specific recommendations or specific pros and cons on hitch mounted racks? I need capacity for three or maybe four bikes.

Hi
I have a hitch mounted rack made by Pendle bike racks which I am happy with. The main support fits between the 2 bolts holding the hitch and is permanent. The rack for the bikes can be fitted quite easily when required. Mine is for only 2 bikes but I think they do a 4 bike model. Possible con is that the tailgate cannot be lifted when bikes are being carried. I believe Thule do a hinged model that overcomes this but it is more expensive.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM

We bought the factory racks for about $500 CAD, total rip off but the only other cheaper was Yakima. We tried the Yakima but the sliding door mounting clips have a raised support piece that caused the doors to not fully close. refunded %100. The factory are super easy to install and take off which gives me some piece of mind about spending that much. Weight is about 100 lbs but likely could take a bit more.