Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Throttle body clean

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Default Throttle body clean

Hi Guys.

New to the forum, just bought a Mazda5 Furano 2.0 petrol, loving the car, just fitted new front pads and had the wheels refurb'd in Honda Type R silver

One thing I have noticed with the car, is that it's a little bit lumpy on partial throttle when cold or warming up, I have always found this on my other car, and cleaning the throttle body fixes this.

Just wondered if I need to do anything to reset the throttle body once I've removed it? I plan on leaving the cables attached and cleaning it whilst it's still in the engine bay.

Also will the gasket be okay, or should I replace it? It looks like a silicone gasket on these. If I need to replace it does anyone know the part number? The ford part number would be better as I have a ford dealer in my town.

Oh and I'm based in the UK

Cheers

Mike

Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Banned

Watch this video: Rough Idling Issues |*MotorWeek
It's a Mazda. Disconnect battery before cleaning along with brake pedal depression. Re-attach battery after cleaning will yield same results---no need for an assistant. Catching dirty fluid with rags, paper towels is best way. Why don't you clean the MAF sensor while you are there! Make sure maf is dry before re-starting (wave it around with your arm, dries quickly). Re-connect battery negative terminal and let idle 10-15 minutes before driving. let it re-learn for 50-100 miles before jumping to conclusions.

Replacing gasket would be good as they get black and harder on the bottom.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Well cleaned up the throttle body which was really dirty and to be honest it's not made any difference. My mate who's a former mazda tech said it could just be a characteristic of the car and to not worry if its fine one warm. Funny thing was today when on very light throttle it seemed to jerk, I wonder if the ecu is still adjusting to me messing With the throttle body? My mrs had not noticed the hesitation on warm up, but did notice the hiccups on light throttle.

I'm wondering if the egr valve could be causing issues?

Cheers

Mike

Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM

I think your mazda has respiratory issues. I would check the air intake hose for cracks. Bend it to see if there are cracks in the ribbed section.

It could be that the EGR is clogged as well. There is an EGR boost sensor and it gets a vacuum signal from the intake manifold. Find that boos sensor and follw the vacuum line to the back of the manifold. Pull it off and clean the nipple with piece of wire 2-3 " long.

Did you look at the spark plugs yet?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 AM

Cool I will check that out. Any chance of pics of where to look? I plan on putting some new plugs in at the next service. I don't think it's a b if issue as when its warm it pulls very clean all the way to the red line. From what I've read the ecu needs 100 miles or so to adjust after messing with the throttle body?

Cheers

Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Madmike:
I suggest you buy an manual, like the Haynes manual. There is more information than I could give you here.
The air intake hose is between the air filter housing and the throttle body.

The relearning is mostly needed when the battery was disconnected. Minor changes with the battery connected should cause no noticeable learning curve.

btw: which year is it and how many miles are on the odo? Put that into your signature and you won't have to retype it anymore.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

All seems fine now. As suspected it just took the ecu a few miles to adjust. It's still a bit lumpy when cold when the weather is also cold but I can live with that.