Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Steering noise at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Default Steering noise at low speed

Hi

I have a Mazda 5 sport 143hp TD. When turning at low speed usually when reversing (parking)or carrying out a u-turn I ocassionally get a loud screeching noise which sounds like its coming from the steering column. Any clues or has anyone else experienced this "fault". Car going into dealer this week, it would be nice to present some more factual evidence to them.

thanks in anticipation

Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Default RE: Steering noise at low speed

I have the same problem on a 5 sport 140. I had a new steering rack on the car and it still makes the noise! Sometimes you give up when the dealers look at you and scatch their heads

Adrian

Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM

i too have had the same noise problem as you and have had it looked at by the dealers - they couldn't make it make a noise therefore there couldn't be a problem!!!!!!

something is definately wrong, and wonder how many others are having this.

Do you have any problems with trye wear? mine is bad, see the other posts for details.
Helen

Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Dougalston83

Hi

I have a Mazda 5 sport 143hp TD. When turning at low speed usually when reversing (parking)or carrying out a u-turn I ocassionally get a loud screeching noise which sounds like its coming from the steering column. Any clues or has anyone else experienced this "fault". Car going into dealer this week, it would be nice to present some more factual evidence to them.

thanks in anticipation
Hi,

Did you get anywhere with your dealer? I have the exact same problem but it doesnt do it when it is with the dealer!?!?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM

I took my Mazda 5 Sport to Dealer for first service (at 10,000 miles) as I was about to take it on holiday and wanted make sure it was ship-shape. I mentioned about strange groaning noise when steering at low speed. The dealer called me later to say that they were in discussion with Mazda about the steering rack, but they would keep my car until it had been sorted out. Mazda have given me a rental car (I insisted on another 7 seater - got brand new Ford Galaxy - ugly, but drives really well and lots of space) which I took on holiday.

Dealer also highlighted tyre wearing problem (whichI see there are plenty of postings about on this forum). I have insisted to Mazda that this gets sorted out and tyres replaced.

In the meantime I will keep the Galaxy which they are paying for (and my wife prefers) until this is sorted out.

FYI - my Mazda has been with the dealer now since 23rd Feb with no resolution on the horizon.

Joe

Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Interesting Joe, i also have that noise but dealer couldn't make it do it so therefore they couldn't do anything!!!! convinient hey?

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting the car back soon. It's just taken me 3 months to be paid for a set of tyres! And i know nig -Charlotteneddies dad - has been on with this problem for a long time.

look forward to an update though.

helen

Old 03-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Helen - I have no intention of holding my breath! Apart from the lack of sliding doors and the fact it is ugly - the Ford Galaxy is better than the Mazda 5. They can keep my Mazda as long as it takes... All I can say is that the customer service from both Mazda and my dealer has been excellent - even if they have no idea how to fix my car...

Joe

Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
SB5

After 6 months old we had the same issue - did not believe my wife and found it hard to replicate noise, but found out how to do it, took to Donalds of Peterborough and after a test drive they could not find the noise - which I could on the yard, Into first, hard lock one way and then reverse, then forward and hard lock the other way and reverse - husge screaming shuddering sound - woke mechanics up at 8.55 am
Car in for three weeks for a new steering rack - import from Japan - we got a hire car 4 door Fiesta which was fun with 3 children and a dog!
since then have not heard it - except a slight groan - but we were in Boston at the time.

See other posts re tyres....
Stephen

Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Yep, I've had this too, usually 1st thing in the morning reversing out of my drive. I'll get it checked at the fist service, after they sort out my tyre wear/tracking/whatever andwind noise on the driver's door![:@]

Old 03-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Update on my situation. My Mazda 5 has now been with dealer for 4 and half weeks. Today they finally came back with the good news that Mazda have sent them the spare part to fix my steering problem. 2 hours later they phoned back to say it did not work and thatthe groaning noise was as bad as before. Mazda apparently are now sending a technician to look at my car.

I also have the tyre wear problem. Fronts need replacing and backs are almost done. I spoke to John at Mazda today on both the tyres and steering and he will get back to me...

[hr]

2006 Mazda 5 2.0 Diesel Sport

Quick Reply: Steering noise at low speed