Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Default Spark Plugs

when the recommended time for the spark plugs to be changedon mazda 5 ts2 2007 model.

thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Default Spark Plugs

I do it once a year on my 06 Mazda 5. I think if you are running ok then leave them alone. If you are doing an oil change or tune up then just check them. I have used Autolite double platinum 2 times in 2.5 years. Just double check gap and done with. If you have never done it. I suggest you change them. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ssdspec
I do it once a year on my 06 Mazda 5. I think if you are running ok then leave them alone. If you are doing an oil change or tune up then just check them. I have used Autolite double platinum 2 times in 2.5 years. Just double check gap and done with. If you have never done it. I suggest you change them. Good luck.
You replace your spark plugs every year?!? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe your Owner's Manual calls for a plug change until the 75,000 mile mark. Do you drive that many miles per year?

FWIW #1, in this day and age, what with high energy ignition systems and exotic metals on the plug electrodes, even a 75,000 mile plug change interval (PCI) is exceedingly conservative.

FWIW #2, with the exception of my 2009 Mazda3, I haven't owned a single car for the last 15 years that had a recommended PCI of less than 100,000 miles.

FWIW #3, after the first couple of 100,000 mile plug changes, I decided that that too was far too conservative. How did I come to that determination? I track our fuel economy religiously, and after plug changes even as late as 125,000 miles, there wasn't even a .01% difference in overall fuel economy. That and engine operation, cold weather starting, and throttle response were completely unaffected when the plugs were changed.

FWIW #4, I seriously doubt I'll bother with the 75,000 mile plug change on my Mazda3 (when the time comes that is), I'll probably wait until the 100,000 mile mark.

FWIW #5, If I'm pretty sure that the OEM plugs that came in your Mazda5 (like the plugs that are in my Mazda3) are tipped with Iridium. Assuming that's the case, then I suppose it makes sense that you need to replace your plugs more often than what Mazda recommends as you're using plugs tipped with Platinum, and they won't last as long as the recommended plugs.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Default Spark Plugs II

You replace your spark plugs every year?!?

You catch on quick! and I think I can afford the 12-15 bucks per year. Yes is the answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe your Owner's Manual calls for a plug change until the 75,000 mile mark.

I don't know if the owner's manual calls for 75,000 mile mark. I really don't care if it does or doesn't when it pertains to the spark plugs being changed.

Do you drive that many miles per year?

No i don't

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM

You replace your spark plugs every year?!?

You catch on quick! and I think I can afford the 12-15 bucks per year. Yes is the answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe your Owner's Manual calls for a plug change until the 75,000 mile mark.

I don't know if the owner's manual calls for 75,000 mile mark. I really don't care if it does or doesn't when it pertains to the spark plugs being changed.

Do you drive that many miles per year?

No i don't
So what benefit do you think you're getting from such frequent plug changes? Sure as heck isn't better drivability, power or fuel economy.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Default Spark Plug III

Originally Posted by shipo
So what benefit do you think you're getting from such frequent plug changes? Sure as heck isn't better drivability, power or fuel economy.
Well since I only have had the car for 2.5 years or so I just wanted to experiment with different plugs. In the end I stuck with autolite platinums. Oh yeah the benefit is that I can brag about changing my plugs every year. I think I will change them every 6 months from now on.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 AM

Well since I only have had the car for 2.5 years or so I just wanted to experiment with different plugs. In the end I stuck with autolite platinums. Oh yeah the benefit is that I can brag about changing my plugs every year. I think I will change them every 6 months from now on.
Hmmm, maybe I'll buy stock in Autolite (Honeywell)... Oh wait! I already have some. Thanks for buying.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Default spending the day in the garage

GOOD IDEA! im always looking for a reason to stay in the garage with my head under the hood all day.think the wife will believe i need to change plugs once a month? with 5 vehicles to care for,that could work out to about every day in the garage

Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM

No problem shipo I had a hunch you had stock in Honeywell and wanted to help you out. Maybe I should also take out my CAI and go back to stock since CAI makes too much noise.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM

No problem shipo I had a hunch you had stock in Honeywell and wanted to help you out. Maybe I should also take out my CAI and go back to stock since CAI makes too much noise.
If you put a CAI on your car to increase the noise, then I have no issue with claims to that affect. That said, if your going to tell me that you got more usable power (i.e. mid-range power) and/or you're getting better gas mileage... Nah! Another can of worms already opened, chewed on, and spit out.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs