Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Serious issue, nearly a fire..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Unhappy Serious issue, nearly a fire..

Hi folks,

I have a 2007 Mazda five with 57,000 miles on it. While driving yesterday I smelt burning. I pulled over and saw smoke coming from under the hood.

The leads that connect to the alterntor are covered by a plastic looking cover. This cover was smoking like crazy and about to catch fire. I had a water bottle so cooled it off with the water.

The charging system is still working, I checked with a meter. It must be getting real hot to do this. Maybe it is overcharging to do this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Fred

Last edited by fastfred48; 06-02-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Help needed
Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

1) Take it in and get it tested.
2) Do you have any large extra draws like an extra amp? If you do you need to run 2 extra grounds. 1 from car body close to battery to negative terminal of battery. 2nd one from engine block to negative terminal of battery (you could do this as well, extra grounding is good). Check stock ground around battery at body for corrosion. Clean your battery terminal if corrosion present.
3) Take it to a garage to get it checked out. Same as #1!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 PM

No extra draws but I did have the AC running, which I rarely do. My meter is now NOT showing a charge but the charging light is going off when I start thye motor!! Strange! Suggestions? Earlier mistake...it is a 2008 model.

Anyone suggest anything. Looks like after removing the plastic underneath I can access the 2? alternator holding bolts. The thermostat went out last fall and the transmission also failed a year ago. The tranny was under warranty thankfully. Not having much luck with the Mazda, shame as I like it.

Fred

The latest... I put my hand on the wiring connection on the alternator and it was so brittle from the heat that it just snapped off. Will now need the wiring to the alternator. Any one know how long it is to a connection? As expected the battery charging light remains on now.

Last edited by fastfred48; 06-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastfred48
No extra draws but I did have the AC running, which I rarely do. My meter is now NOT showing a charge but the charging light is going off when I start thye motor!! Strange! Suggestions? Earlier mistake...it is a 2008 model.

Anyone suggest anything. Looks like after removing the plastic underneath I can access the 2? alternator holding bolts. The thermostat went out last fall and the transmission also failed a year ago. The tranny was under warranty thankfully. Not having much luck with the Mazda, shame as I like it.

Fred

The latest... I put my hand on the wiring connection on the alternator and it was so brittle from the heat that it just snapped off. Will now need the wiring to the alternator. Any one know how long it is to a connection? As expected the battery charging light remains on now.
You said it was still charging, guess not now!
Don't know where it gets connected to or how long. Safe bet is to the positive side on battery if needed in a pinch, especially if wire is fairly thick.
Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails Serious issue, nearly a fire..-wile-e-coyotehelp.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM

It sounds like the connection was loose and overheated, my mom had a 1992 Ford Taurus 3.8L that the nut holding the positive wire onto the alternator loosened and did the exact same thing that happened to you, it overheated and melted both the plastic cover and the mounting post of the alternator itself.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Looks like you are right. It seems that is what happened. Well done!

Fred