Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 P5: Serious problem with smoke and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Default 02 P5: Serious problem with smoke and hesitation

Hi all,
Ive recently found out that my '02 protege5 has a seemingly serious problem. If I accelerate reasonably hard and bring the rpm up to about 5500 before shifting the car suddenly hesitates and blows a big puff of oil smoke out the exhaust. It is a very distinct transition and happens at the same point every time so I dont think it's blow by. The check engine light has been on for a bit. It goes off if I stop driving for a full day or two but will then come back on once I reach highway speeds. Has anyone else experienced this?[/align]

Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Default RE: 02 P5: Serious problem with smoke and hesitation

that was going on with my 2000 honda civic si and it was not good news when i took it in and they ran a camra in my motor.... for one the oil rings were dead like not even there anymore also the piston rings were gone and a few more seals were gone but have u been putting oil in your car like all the time or lie once a week???? cause if so thats the same prob. that i had with the si
hope that helps

Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the help steve. Thats what Im afraid of. But there are two reasons why I think it might be something else. Firstly, I dont have to put oil in it too often to keep it full. Secondly, it is a very distinct transition. this may be a week analogy but you know what a vtec engine feels like when the vtec system engages? Its very sudden, very sharp. Thats what this is like...except instead of a surge of power this is a surge of hesitation and a big cloud of oil smoke.
But ,its still possible that it is my rings or something equally detrimental in my internals so Ill hope for the best and expect the worst. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM

This really sounds like a sticking exhaust valve, and possibly some blocked oil galleys. Sometimes some of the over the counter oils additives may help with symptoms like this.But it won't be immediate. Are you experiencing any type of knocking engine noise??? Also, are you absolutely sure you are seeing blue, oil smoke. It could be a ring, but that would tend to do it all the time, not just on heavy acceleration. Are you using the factory recommended oil weight for your engine type??? Does it only do it when it is at operating temp. Or from cold???

Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 PM

Whats the code?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 AM

hixx-Im not sure what the code is although I am planning on taking it in to find out asap. But I really think its unrelated to that because it started doing it long before the CEL came on.

MazdaES-hmm...a sticking exahust valve...that doesnt sound good There is no audible knocking sound to my knowledge. Ive listened intently and cant hear anything. I have been using hte factory rec oil weight and I m not sure about the temp question. I dont think its ever happened when it was cold but thats probably because Ive never tried inducing it when it was cold.So Ive only noticed it at operating temp. Thanks for all your help. Itsounds like, no matter what, it is something pretty serious and internal which means I will probably just have to take it in and have it diagnosed and fixed the good old fashioned expensive way!