Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 AM

Hi Muzkeepupz,

No not heard anything from Sanyo yet I didn't actually expect any response but my hopes were built up a little when my email was replied back to immediately and forwarded on to someone to help.... I sent them another email yesterday so fingers crossed.

Regarding the link you sent - yeah I have seen a lot of items like this and yes the 16pin plug does look like the one on the bottom of the stereo - unfortunately all of the plugs are in use on mine. I do not know what it is in use for as the unit has everything built in - Sat Nav, Cd Changer, Stereo etc.... unless it is just a standard wiring harness which can have a AUX socket in the boot or something.

if I don't here back from Sanyo and I feel brave enough I may take the stereo out again (it isn't that hard... 4 screws, one bolt and a bit of gentle but firm pulling trim off!) and see what happens if I disconnect that cable.

My only concern though is even this adaptor would only let you listen to the IPOD on the stereo - which I can do using the 3.5mm aux jack by the front cigarette lighter.... what I was hoping for was full control of the ipod on the stereos touch screen. I'm now wondering if there is any chance the only spare socket (the 4pin one to the left of the aerial socket) could be the equivalent of a USB pin layout or someething?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Cool Sat Nav Stereo IPOD Option

Hi Guys

Any news regarding the IPOD option from Sanyo yet? I looked at your photos and when i looked at the Mazda extras brouche i saw that they did a RCA input lead into the stereo. I asked if they could order me one and when it arrived i noted that ot was a six pin socket with three pins in use. There is option on my stereo as it is a 2005 model but looking at you pictures i think the RCA input is below the areial lead. But as with most things it says for vehicles without sat nav...

Just thought they may use the RCA input to get the feed into the stereo. Don't know if i gave you this thread but try looking on http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archi...php/f-234.html

They are mainly from the states so they usally ahead of us,and perhaps somebody may be able to help.

Cheers

Judge

Last edited by Judge; 06-09-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: the link i put in was shortened and when you clicked on it it went to the wrong site
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Hi guys,

Nope - I got a reply from Sanyo eventually... and I did kind of expect it but really hoped I was on to something - they replied - "sorry you have to contact your Mazda Dealer for that information"

And we all know how unhelpful Mazda Dealers are.

I will try and chase up again soon - but also may be brave and have a closer look maybe even inside the unit... sometimes they label the PCB where the connectors are... ok I know I'm clutching at straws here.

Obviously if I find anythign I'll let you guys know.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Just to keep this post live....

As an update... still pushing Sanyo for some help on the stereo but really think that will be a dead end.

Finally got someone at the Mazda dealer to give me an answer that wasn't "no sorry can't help"... to the point he came to the car and actually asked to see the ipod option... he then went to discuss with the technical servicing team - who also had never heard of it - in fact hadn't seen the latest sat nav system... so were a little excited by it.

They have said if I bring the car in they will take the stereo out and see if they can find anything. Though what I do not know.

And finally just out of interest - was a bit more brave and took stereo out again and tried to look inside to see if any markings of what the plugs were - but the unit is so well built and so full of "stuff" couldn't even get to the PCB!

But two things... I unplugged each connector in turn - and nothing stopped working until the last one!!! So what all the connectors are for I have no idea!!

and ... oops... just as a warning... one of the plugs is exactly same size / shape as the plug to the air conditioning facia unit... and surprisingly the radio doesn't like having the air conditioning plugged into it.... have no idea why but I was very lucky it just blew the fuse on the A/C - so no permanent dammage done!! luckily!!! would have found that hard to explain!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 AM

actually, there are some dealers who can provide factory OEM head units for Mazda 5, and the head unit has integrated ipod ready, aux, gps ,tv, rds, fm/am, usb, sd slot,etc into a unit!

One store for reference: http://www.autodvdgps.com/index.php?...roducts_id=514

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM

This may be overstating the obvious, but looking at the 2009 mazda 5 brochure, the last page discusses-

"The Mazda iPodŽ Integration Module lets you plug in your AppleŽ iPod and enjoy hours of favorite tunes through your MAZDA5 ’s audio system. Works with all 30-pin iPods equipped with a dock connector; includes battery charger. iPod not included. See dealer for compatibility information and installation limitations."

http://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/b...5_brochure.pdf

I just bought a 2009 mazda 5 grand touring and I too see the ipod option on my nav display. It's also my experience that the dealers have limited knowledge with the nav and audio systems. I'm on a mission to get this working because if I can connect with a 30 pin connector, get power and exchange song information with the nav display panel (that is probably a pipe dream), I would be one very happy mazda 5 owner!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Just wondering if anyone got anywhere with this???? I've given up trying to get response from Sanyo

Only ask because over weekend I found out the 09 Sat Nav / Audio System has bluetooth so have managed to connect it to my phone !! This may not seem much to most people but the fact I didn't even know it had bluetooth on it and only found it by accident I am very happy!

Though can't understand why now the display on my unit is in English, it gives navigation in English, the bluetooth phone menu is in English, but when you push the voice command button for sat nav it speaks German...

I'm putting it down to the shock it got when I plugged the Air Con plug in by mistake to the back of the radio when I last tried to work out the Ipod connections... LOL!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM

I've solved my german speaking Voice Recognition - I'm now in full english - would have been nice to have an instruction manual with the system but hey I'm slowly learning - got the car for another 2 years so hopefully would have found it all out just in time to give it back!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM

For you guys who've taken the nav panel out, can you post a picture or explain in more detail how you did that? I have an '09 mazda 5 and everything is concealed so well, I don't know where to start.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Default removal of oem stereo unit fom dash

Hi deichkorn

try this link it is for for the 2005 model onwards, i cannot see there being any difference with the 09 model.

the threads is
https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_3227/tm.htm

hope this helps.

There is a link to have the mazda 5 manuals if you go into the top threads, i have downloaded it and find it useful.

i did use the link to remove the stereo so that was also useful.

judge

Quick Reply: Sat Nav Stereo System IPOD Option?