Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

new tires & adjustable rear camber arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Default new tires & adjustable rear camber arms

Ok - so the HanKrap tires that were on the car when I bought it 6 months ago are getting replaced.
One of them developed a bubble, and I had noticed inner wear on the rear tires...indicative of negative rear camber issues covered in numerous places on this site.
Since I am putting 4 new tires on the car, I decided to also replace the rear non-adjustable camber arms with adjustable ones, and have the caber set to -1 and toe to zero (as a number of you have suggested).

I picked up two adjustable arms for $100 online at speedyracer.com.
The shop installed them for $100, and $65 for an alignment.

I decided to put Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires on.As I sit here waiting for my car to be done, I am getting excited to drive it with its new shoes!
Rain is predicted tomorrow - so I should get an early chance to check them out in the wet too...Dom

Last edited by dgcam55; 03-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

My first impressions:

Suspension - I dont know notice any difference after the swap to adjustable arms (thankfully).

Tires - HUGE IMPROVEMENT on interior cabin noise! I am stunned at how quiet my car is now with the Conti DWS's!
Driving on dry pavement this afternoon, the DWS's are alittle bit "squishier" in cornering.
I also agree that they may be a very slight delay in steering response too.
If you are a spirited driver also seeking a quieter ride yet decent grip, you will have no problems with these tires.
If you however, you are always looking for thrills by pushing the car to its limits, then I would consider a different tire.

We'll see how they do in the rain this weekend....

I am VERY pleased with the changes!
Dom

Last edited by dgcam55; 03-23-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

That's easy!! Installing the rear camber arms WITHOUT lowering the rear cradle.

Add the 27mm RB rear bar and Koni Sports and you have the same setup I'm running.
I LOVE the Conti's. This car has never been more stable in so many conditions.

What are you having the rear geometry set at?

Let us, me in particular, know how you like it!!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dgcam55
My first impressions:

Suspension - I dont know notice any difference after the swap to adjustable arms (thankfully).

Tires - HUGE IMPROVEMENT on interior cabin noise! I am stunned at how quiet my car is now with the Conti DWS's!
Driving on dry pavement this afternoon, the DWS's are alittle bit "squishier" in cornering.
I also agree that they may be a very slight delay in steering response too.
If you are a spirited driver, also seeking a quieter ride yet decent grip, you will have no problems with these tires.
If you however, always are looking for thrills by pushing the car to its limits, then I would consider a different tire.

We'll see how they do in the rain this weekend....

I am VERY pleased with the changes!
Dom
Yeah, quiet, stable, and a bit squishy seem to be very common comments regarding the DWSs. Keep us posted on your tire wear as the miles mount.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

If you're not a boy racer, they are fine. But I will suggest you adjust the pressures.
Remember the factory recommends tire pressure based on the tire they are using. It's not uncommon to find that a tire change also requires different pressures.
To give you an example, after some experimentation I am running 38F/34R. It helps with the steering response.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 PM

virgin: -1 camber / 0 toe on the rear.
I dont know what they set the initial tire pressures at. I will have to check that this weekend. Good point!
YES! - STABLE - that is a good word to describe the DWS's on this car.

I will definitely keep you posted. I've learned so much about my M5 from reading this forum the past few months.
This single issue alone noted on the forum has saved me much aggravation and money right out of the gate.

I would have been pissed beyond belief if I spent good $ to put good tires on the car to later have them worn out within the first 20k miles. After reading everyone's experiences, the findings on the cause, and the fixes, I feel obliged to share my experiences. Its the least I can do.

Dom

Last edited by dgcam55; 03-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Well - we finally had a good soaking rain here in NJ - the first one since I picked up my new CONTI's DWS's.
I am extremely satisfied with how they handled in the pouring rain.
Even on the highway at 75 mph, the car felt stable and tires felt like they were keeping good contact with the road.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until next year to try them in the snow....
Dom

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Dom, Great news, and it matches my own experiences with them as well. In fact the day I had the Good Years that were on the car removed and the DWS's installed, it was raining here like cats and dogs. Since when tires are new they still have some of the slipeery mold release on them that I would have to be extrememly careful, but they did much better as new tires than did the worn in GY's before them!! They were stable for me from the start and haven't failed me yet.
I wouldn't expect the world from them as snow tires, but I will say that having them on my car allowed me to make it to work here for the first time in a snow fall. I even passed a cop riding on BadYear RS-A's that morning... and almost everything else that was trying to get around.