Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

New car break-in.. is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Default New car break-in.. is it really necessary?

Hi everyone...
I am buying a new Mazda-5 and i will have to drive it ~ 320mi to get home. Is that gona hurt anything for a new engine? will I need to follow any procedures to break it in? I ve heard about not driving faster than 50 mph for the first 1000mi.. this is the first time I am buying a new vehicle and will appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Standard language from recent Mazda Owner's Manuals:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended
  • periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts.

Long story short, follow those instructions and you'll be good to go.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm... that's exactly what my not-so-new Mazda manual states.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM

All that sounds like common sense things to do i just wasn't sure if there were technical procedures to follow. How about the 1st oil change? Does' it need to happen real soon or is it the same as any other oil change you would do normaly.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

In my manual, Mazda said nothing about an early oil change, but it couldn't hurt.
I'd do one around 1000 miles, just to make sure any leftover manufacturing crud gets removed, but the filter should catch that anyway. And a manufacturer's engine build room should be spotless anyway.

Your call.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM

hi virgin hows your day going its snowing here i hate winter i have a 2012 mazda 5 and the owners manual says all that was stated above on oil changes mazda sevice manager and the sales person told me not to change the oil until 5,000 i asked why because when i worked for car dealers.. we allways changed the oil every 3,000 they told me that mazda feals its waisting good oil and something about a EPA i will find out for sure and get back to you... i have 900 miles on my van ..i drove it easy most of the time thats how i drive it seems to run fine 300 mile trip wont hurt it because its a mazda there built to last lol spencerfvee
Originally Posted by virgin1
In my manual, Mazda said nothing about an early oil change, but it couldn't hurt.
I'd do one around 1000 miles, just to make sure any leftover manufacturing crud gets removed, but the filter should catch that anyway. And a manufacturer's engine build room should be spotless anyway.

Your call.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Spensor, Where are you located? It's 80* here today and windy as h*ll.

With modern engines and oil, it probably is a waste of good oil. I personally have never bought into the change oil @ 3k theory, thinking it was only another way for the oil companies and quick change places to make a buck. Using Dino oil, 5k was always my std.
The manual for my car recommends oil changes @ 7,500 intervals. I think I followed that for the first change and then every 5k after that until I converted to full synthetic. Now every 10k, oil/filter. Every 5k, filter and top off.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM

The original break in period and oil change were from the days before computerized machining where engine parts were turned on manual machines. This meant there was a bedding in period as parts bedded into each other. It was not uncommon to find metals shaving in the oil in the early days hence the change at 500 or 1000 miles.

I think some manufacturers still call for the oil change but its mainly on diesels - not sure why

Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM

hi virgin in ohio the state with no winning sports teams . its 25 here today snow lol times are changing on how long to run oil befor changing it spencerfvee
Originally Posted by virgin1
Hey Spensor, Where are you located? It's 80* here today and windy as h*ll.

With modern engines and oil, it probably is a waste of good oil. I personally have never bought into the change oil @ 3k theory, thinking it was only another way for the oil companies and quick change places to make a buck. Using Dino oil, 5k was always my std.
The manual for my car recommends oil changes @ 7,500 intervals. I think I followed that for the first change and then every 5k after that until I converted to full synthetic. Now every 10k, oil/filter. Every 5k, filter and top off.