Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 US 6-seat vs Euro 7-seat configuration

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 AM
Default Mazda5 US 6-seat vs Euro 7-seat configuration

Live in the US east coast. Looking into buying a Mazda 5. How come the US version only comes with a 6-seat configuration, but the UK/Euro version can seat 7? What gives? Is it the obesity problem? (pun intended). We love our '98 Dodge Caravan, its a compact among minivans. But the Mazda 5 is even more compact but can only seat 6. I'm a practical person, if I can cram 7 people in that small van and then some, i'd be very happy.

Any possibility of converting the 2nd row seats to seat 3?. Maybe buy a UK version of one of the 2nd row captain's chairs (one with the center seat attached)?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by HP Gall
Live in the US east coast. Looking into buying a Mazda 5. How come the US version only comes with a 6-seat configuration, but the UK/Euro version can seat 7? What gives? Is it the obesity problem? (pun intended). We love our '98 Dodge Caravan, its a compact among minivans. But the Mazda 5 is even more compact but can only seat 6. I'm a practical person, if I can cram 7 people in that small van and then some, i'd be very happy.

Any possibility of converting the 2nd row seats to seat 3?. Maybe buy a UK version of one of the 2nd row captain's chairs (one with the center seat attached)?
I dare say you could but the 5 in the UK is only really a 6.5 seater - you certainly can sit 3 adults comfortably on that middle seat

Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Hmm... My worry would be that if you crammed 7 people into a Mazda 5, when driving should you encounter a hill you would be stuck at the bottom with the engine trying really hard by not getting you to the top.

This is assuming that you could even FIT 5 people in the back. Small kids perhaps.

I know when on rare occassions we have 6 people in our car (usually 4 adults / 2 kids) the car is definitely sluggish with the extra weight.

(For the record I have never been stuck at the bottom of a hill even with the car weighed down )

Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BCNorth
Hmm... My worry would be that if you crammed 7 people into a Mazda 5, when driving should you encounter a hill you would be stuck at the bottom with the engine trying really hard by not getting you to the top.

This is assuming that you could even FIT 5 people in the back. Small kids perhaps.

I know when on rare occassions we have 6 people in our car (usually 4 adults / 2 kids) the car is definitely sluggish with the extra weight.

(For the record I have never been stuck at the bottom of a hill even with the car weighed down )
Little 4 bangers! I was thinking of downsizing to a Honda Fit. Those things have huge room in the back along with a neat back seat where the bottom folds up! I would have removed those seats.
But with 300 pounds of DJ equipment and myself that little 1.6 ltr win the Fit would be very sluggish! No Zoom Zoom there!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

LOL - its true. I had a 96 Honda Civic hatchback. We were traveling from Victoria BC to Botanical Beach (about a 2 hour drive) with 4 adults in the car. We hit one hill in particular and had to drop to 1st gear and literally crawled up the hill at practically walking speed.

In that Honda's defense though it was/is a VERY steep hill immediately after a VERY tight corner.

That same hill, with some luggage, a wife, and 2 kids, we took our Mazda 5 at a slow speed in second gear. So slight improvement

(On another note - 2007 VW GTI with 2 adults, blasted up the hill like it was flat - I guess that's the VW Torque (207) for you!!)

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Little 4 bangers! I was thinking of downsizing to a Honda Fit. Those things have huge room in the back along with a neat back seat where the bottom folds up! I would have removed those seats.
But with 300 pounds of DJ equipment and myself that little 1.6 ltr win the Fit would be very sluggish! No Zoom Zoom there!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM

You could buy the uk/euro second row of seats and install them in your 5, but you will be missing a seat belt.

Also you can fit 7 adults in the 5 and not worry about hills, I had 7 adults in my car two weeks ago and the only problem I encounted was the exhaust tale pipe and side skirts rubbing the ground when going over speed bumps. (now my shocks need replacing)

Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Default Mazda 5 Euro v Usa Version seating

Just purchased a 5 Sport in Ireland...down sized from the excellent Kia Carnival full 7 seater.
First thing is that the middle seat in middle row is a joke and only usable for short journeys...i have 4 kids and the 6 seats suits us but to sell it as a 7 seater is totally incorrect...we have it one week so will post up as we go along