Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Angry Mazda 5 Clutch Problems

I have had my Mazda 5 56 plate for almost 2 years. I do a lot of driving majority of which is motorway.When I got the car it had on 36,000 miles at 56,000 miles it needed a new clutch. I wasn't happy with this clutch difficult to get into 1st and reverse gear kept mentioning this to the garage, said there was nothing wrong, now another 34,000 miles and 15 months later the clutch has gone. The garage say it is fair wear and tear. I am confused I am a lady driver not some trucker wearing doc martin boots. How on earth can a car which is done 92,000 miles get through 3 clutches. I am being patronised they are saying to me things like we will show you the clutch etc., but how do I know if it was ever fitted right in the first place?? Looking on the net these clutches do seem to have problems on the Mazda 5. I bought a Mazda having had a Zafira before because of their reputation and outside of this problem I just love it.
I need ammunition help please I ought to add that I have been dealing with a Mazda Dealership

Last edited by Maltkiln; 01-20-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about a worn clutch. When the clutch was first replaced it shouldn't have been difficult to get into 1st or reverse. This is indicative of the clutch not releasing properly, which could either be a faulty clutch cover or air in the hydraulics. This should have been rectified at the time.
A new vehicle's clutch is generally only warranted for 9000 miles due to the fact that
it's possible to burn a clutch out very quickly by poor clutch control.
I used to have an elderly customer with a Rover 216 who used to burn the clutch out every 12000 mile. I used to cringe when I heard them pull away slipping the clutch and racing the engine.
I bought a new VW van in 2001 and the clutch failed after 25000 miles. The VW dealer who I bought the van from wouldn't cover it under warranty and blamed my driving. The new clutch, which is much heavier to operate, is still in the van with 115000 miles and still going strongly. Obviously the first clutch was faulty.
I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and fork out for a new clutch. If it's not too late get the job done at an independent garage who will be considerably cheaper and will probably fit a different make of clutch, which may be better than the original. If there are any problem with engaging gears with the new clutch make sure they sort it out.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Oh Mazda 7 has 99,000 kms (about 60,000 miles) and the clutch still feels like it did the day we bought the car new.

I don't know if we are lucky to have got a good clutch, or if my wife and I are just great drivers or what, but so far so good...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Default Mazda 5 Clutch problems

My wife and I bought a 2010 Mazda5 not quite 2 and 1/2 years ago. We really liked it. I loved the power and feel of the car. It is a manual transmission. We have driven a manual transmission car for the past 12 yrs. We have only had to change the clutch on one vehicle that we bought used after it neared 100k miles. The clutch in our NEW Mazda5 however failed after less than 2.5 yrs and we are being told that the warranty doesn't cover that because it is normal wear and tear. From what I have read it isn't exactly a common problem but it isn't uncommon either.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM

The Mazda 5 does seem to have an issue. You should have had a very smooth change after a new clutch, and whilst the clutch may not have been a problem, find out if they changed the slave cylinder, which is in the gearbox. It can often fail after a clutch change. The plate and release bearing are always changed, but it is very advisable to change the slave too. If it faulty, you will not be able to bleed the system fully, and the clutch will then never fully disengage. That may be your problem.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM

I wouldn't go near a main dealer for a clutch - have always had mine done at Mr Clutch (assuming you are in UK). They will fit a non Mazda one which will likely be better quality.
As for a Zafira - I had 2 clutches and a dual mass flywheel within 20K thankfully under warranty.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 PM

How much does it cost to have the clutch replaced on the Mazda5?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:41 AM

The dealer wanted 1300 to 1600. I had it done at a transmission shop for about $1150.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2010Mazda5
The dealer wanted 1300 to 1600. I had it done at a transmission shop for about $1150.
Wow -a Sachs kit will set u back about £130 + fitting for the 3 part kit. I would guess £350 all in at Mr Clutch / local garage.

If you have to change the slave then that will probably be about £90 + fitting.

This is what i would expect to pay but i like to have rough price in my head before i go into a garage

Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 AM

I would double check the prices. I keep getting quoted £250-300 for the clutch kit. LUK and it's quoted as 6 hours to fit. Seems as if it will be £600 anywhere.
Hmm, Mr Clutch, not for me, but you may have a good one near you.

Quick Reply: Mazda 5 Clutch Problems