Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 2014 Diesel - broken - worth repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:27 AM
Default Mazda 5 2014 Diesel - broken - worth repairing?

i would appreciate some advice from other Mazda 5 owners/experts.

We have a Mazda 5 (from 2014), Diesel. We are the second owner, we bought it in 2016. Til now, we have had no issues. We are in Germany, It has 109k km on its clock, and had full service in March this year.

On way back from holiday the car lost drive / all gears while on motorway. For approx 20 minutes previous the car/engine was sounding a bit strange, intermittently, but we thought we would make it home. We were wrong, we got to approx. 80km from home.

We coasted to the hard shoulder and called breakdown service.

From the smell from engine area it was clear that something was not right. Breakdown took the car to nearest Mazda garage on a transporter, and insurance gave us a hire car to complete our journey. Our Mazda 5 is approx 100km from our home.

On Monday we called that garage, which is official Mazda garage, and they said we needed at least a new clutch (Kupplung in German) which is not quick/easy to fix. so before the bought the part they confirmed we were OK to pay the 1300 euro or so for the parts and labor. We confirmed so.

Today they called us back and said the new clutch had been fitted, though it took a little longer than they expected. But the car was still not drive-able, as they had now found another, more serious issue with the transmission (Getreibe in German) which they could not have foreseen.

He gave us 3 options

1) We could just scrap the car / try to sell in current state.

2) That garage could replace the transmission (Getreibe) but with no guarantee that this would completely fix all issues. He quoted parts as around 2800 EURO, and then labor and tax and .... would end around 4k EURO. I remind that this is official Mazda garage.

3) We could arrange transport to take vehicle elsewhere, e.g. another garage for second opinion, home to sit on our driveway, ...

In all situations we will need to pay 1500 or so for the work of sourcing/fitting the new clutch.

Asking the guy his recommendation based on his experience, he said probably option 1 "given the age and mileage". But of course it was entirely our choice. He did not pressure us either to make a snap/quick decision nor to go in any particular direction. That said, nor was he particularly helpful. He could not say what specifically was wrong with the transmission , all he could say is that it needed changing and whatever is wrong is internal to that part and not itself a field replaceable item.

None of us are really that knowledgeable about cars in general, nor Mazda in particular.

I asked a friend, and his first thoughts echoed my own - to scrap a 2014 car, that had not been in any sort of accident, sounds extreme.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by km1967
i would appreciate some advice from other Mazda 5 owners/experts.

We have a Mazda 5 (from 2014), Diesel. We are the second owner, we bought it in 2016. Til now, we have had no issues. We are in Germany, It has 109k km on its clock, and had full service in March this year.

On way back from holiday the car lost drive / all gears while on motorway. For approx 20 minutes previous the car/engine was sounding a bit strange, intermittently, but we thought we would make it home. We were wrong, we got to approx. 80km from home.

We coasted to the hard shoulder and called breakdown service.

From the smell from engine area it was clear that something was not right. Breakdown took the car to nearest Mazda garage on a transporter, and insurance gave us a hire car to complete our journey. Our Mazda 5 is approx 100km from our home.

On Monday we called that garage, which is official Mazda garage, and they said we needed at least a new clutch (Kupplung in German) which is not quick/easy to fix. so before the bought the part they confirmed we were OK to pay the 1300 euro or so for the parts and labor. We confirmed so.

Today they called us back and said the new clutch had been fitted, though it took a little longer than they expected. But the car was still not drive-able, as they had now found another, more serious issue with the transmission (Getreibe in German) which they could not have foreseen.

He gave us 3 options

1) We could just scrap the car / try to sell in current state.

2) That garage could replace the transmission (Getreibe) but with no guarantee that this would completely fix all issues. He quoted parts as around 2800 EURO, and then labor and tax and .... would end around 4k EURO. I remind that this is official Mazda garage.

3) We could arrange transport to take vehicle elsewhere, e.g. another garage for second opinion, home to sit on our driveway, ...

In all situations we will need to pay 1500 or so for the work of sourcing/fitting the new clutch.

Asking the guy his recommendation based on his experience, he said probably option 1 "given the age and mileage". But of course it was entirely our choice. He did not pressure us either to make a snap/quick decision nor to go in any particular direction. That said, nor was he particularly helpful. He could not say what specifically was wrong with the transmission , all he could say is that it needed changing and whatever is wrong is internal to that part and not itself a field replaceable item.

None of us are really that knowledgeable about cars in general, nor Mazda in particular.

I asked a friend, and his first thoughts echoed my own - to scrap a 2014 car, that had not been in any sort of accident, sounds extreme.

Any advice appreciated.
2014? That's only 7 yrs old. It maybe worth fixing unless you got the money for a new vehicle. I would also shop around for quotes on rebuilding the transmission. Maybe you find something cheaper then 2800 Euros? Also factors like is this car paid off? If you don't repair it and finance a new car ( used or new) then you will have new monthly payments to make. Alot to think about.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:02 PM

If this is a manual transmission fault, it's not that expensive to fix. However, you need a good mechanic to diagnose the issue. Find one if you haven't already done so. Not necessarily at official Mazda service. World of mouth will help.

P.S. 109K km is very low mileage. My mazda 5 2012 has 194K with no major issues.