Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Gas Cap Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Default Gas Cap Problem

We have an 09 Mazda 5 which we love - bought it in June and it has about 3400 miles on it. We tried getting gas last week and the gas cap would not come off. We finally broke off the black part after trying to unscrew it. We took it to the dealer who said they had problems with this on the 3 and 5 models. He fixed it without charge. Last night, again, we had been on a day trip and were about 5 miles from home when we tried getting gas again, only to find the gas cap was stuck again. We limped home on the fumes we had left and finally got the gas cap to come unscrewed. Fortunately, Mazda road side assistance came and gave us a gallon of gas to make it back to the gas station. The cap was on correctly both times, but there must be an issue with these - does anyone know of a recall? I have read other posters who have had the same issue. Could it be a vacuum problem because of low fuel in the tank? Both times our tank was very low. We are going to fill up when we hit a half tank and hopefully solve the problem that way. But it is a pain when filling up your gas tanks also costs a trip to the dealer.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM

This happened to me once, and I took the car (as you did) on fumes, to the mazda dealer. They managed to get the broken one off, with much difficulty, and gave us a new one (also free). This was just over a year ago, and no problems ever since.

When we put hte cap on, we also don't tighten it till it clicks - I stop now before the click, and that seems to have solved our issue... I think. It is a crazy weird problem though.

btw, ours is a 2008 model 5, GT.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

BC, doesn't the car throw a CEL under those conditions? The fuel system of any new car needs to be completely sealed... why the ratchet on gas caps is standard.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Unhappy

yes there is a problem with the gas cap, i've been thru 2 of them already. the dealer said they are very cheap quality so every time i have an issue to go by the dealer and get a new one.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM

I read a review on Consumer Reports that mentioned this same issue. Owner had been back to the dealer four times.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Default Does this Gas Cap problem exist on the 2010 Mazda5

Does anyone know if this gas cap issue has been solved for the 2010 version of the Mazda5???

Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by ehsrhs
We have an 09 Mazda 5 which we love - bought it in June and it has about 3400 miles on it. We tried getting gas last week and the gas cap would not come off. We finally broke off the black part after trying to unscrew it. We took it to the dealer who said they had problems with this on the 3 and 5 models. He fixed it without charge. Last night, again, we had been on a day trip and were about 5 miles from home when we tried getting gas again, only to find the gas cap was stuck again. We limped home on the fumes we had left and finally got the gas cap to come unscrewed. Fortunately, Mazda road side assistance came and gave us a gallon of gas to make it back to the gas station. The cap was on correctly both times, but there must be an issue with these - does anyone know of a recall? I have read other posters who have had the same issue. Could it be a vacuum problem because of low fuel in the tank? Both times our tank was very low. We are going to fill up when we hit a half tank and hopefully solve the problem that way. But it is a pain when filling up your gas tanks also costs a trip to the dealer.
If it where me I would go to the local salvage yard or look on the internet and find a gas cap from a different year, or model. I have an 06 3 and never had a problem with my cap

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure you would need the filler neck too... and I'm not completely sure they would be directly interchangeable.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by virgin1

I'm pretty sure you would need the filler neck too... and I'm not completely sure they would be directly interchangeable.

I was thinking that since he is having trouble with his 09 model he might have better luck with a gas cap from an 08 model. Last resort see if the Mazda 3 cap might fit, you never know dealers sometimes use the same parts on different model years.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

The '08's are where the problem started, but I am pretty sure you are right about the 3 and 5 series sharing the cap.

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Problem