Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

HOT!! Mazda5 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Default RE: HOT!! Mazda5 Recall

Here in Quebec, our Mazda dealer was a little slow to react. I took notice of the recall on the web and it's us that announced it the the dealer. But we have now a huge Grand caravan. Hoping it's not for long because it's like driving the Titanic! Not really a good driving feeling. We had the Mazda 5 since the middle of July (yes, we bought it and the production for america's was not started yet!) and we want it back ASAP. ASAP but safe as it should be too. I'm counting on babyhuey to keep us posted! He look well connected! Thanks in advance!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 PM

No, I am not a Nascar fan. Felt a faint touch of being a Nascar driver while test-driving the 5, though.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM

This link has some additional information:
Recall info

Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 AM

I want to buy one but they can't sell me one until the recall is lifted. Any one here know when that is? The dealer left it up in the air, I was hoping some one here would know about when you get your car back.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Just spoke with my dealer (Fairbanks Mazda in Orlando), supposedly the #1 volume Mazda dealer in the U.S. 6 years running...they should have some pull right??? Well, they're clueless. I asked for an update on the situation and all they could tell me was that they did not have parts to perform the repair and it would be another 2-6 weeks before they had the parts. I told them I wanted to drive my 5 until they had the parts because of the lack of a real threat of fire (unless you cruise at 80 in 2nd gear) and, as expected, they told me they would be unable to release the car to me. My car is officially being held captive. Not only that, they're keeping it on the lot in direct Florida sunlight with no sunshield in the windshield. If I see one ding, scratch or dent on it when I pick it up (in 2006 at this rate), I will request a brand new car from their inventory (mine only has 250 miles on it.) I asked them to keep me posted, though I don't expect them to. They never even called me about the recall in the first place...I called and told them about it. I guess it doesn't require an exceptional dealership to be the volume king.

Don't mean to bum anyone out more than they already are, but it could be November before we see our 5's again...

Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 PM

I called Mazda (800-222-5500) last night and they told me it would be a month. I said, "A month from when?" They said from when the letter went out on the 16th. I then said, wow so 2 weeks, great I am ready. The guy on the phone goes ...well it will be a month. So Mazda doesn't even know when. He did say however that they know the fix and are only waiting approval. They are going to recalibrate the transmission and add the heat shield. Knowing corp. America it will take a committee and lawyers to get it approved, then the engineers to design the shield before they can ship it.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:26 PM

November may be closer than you think. Latest info I know of puts parts availability to the dealer at the last week of October at this point. Sorry.[:'(]

Old 09-30-2005, 07:36 PM

OK...first this has only happened to a couple of these vehicles.

"word on the street"

people have been driving these vehicles by mistake in manual mode second gear at 6500rpms for pro longed periods of time causing the exhaust to become etreamly hot ---the spare tire catches the brunt of the heat causing the fire.

1 month min for the fix...and yes the dealer will put you into a rental at no charge.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:41 PM

Does the recall apply to manual transmission also or just the automatic version? [&:]

Old 10-01-2005, 07:24 PM

I have been in touch with a local dealership for the last few weeks about getting a unit for my wife. The salesman send me a message yesterday revealing the recall situation, also indicating that the manual transmission units are not part of the recall.

Quick Reply: HOT!! Mazda5 Recall