Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

HOT!! Mazda5 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Default HOT!! Mazda5 Recall

They took it back! All Mazda5s have been indefinately recalled due to a potential exhaust problem. Mazda says could cause a fire--although none to date. I brought it in and the dealer gave me a brand new MPV to drive until it's fixed. They're estimating a month! What gives? Anyone know?

Old 09-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Default RE: HOT!! Mazda5 Recall

andrewlwilson, If the problem "could cause a fire--although none to date", you would still be driving your 5. We only sold 4 5's since they were released and had three of them back to the shop before I went home on Friday night and service manager was still waiting for #4. Only unsold was pulled inside as well. Have been with Mazda for many years and have NEVER seen this sense of urgency in getting the vehicles back. If you have a 5 then stop driving it and get to dealer on Monday. Have it towed if possible. It will be covered by roadside assistance. At this point I know little more than you do other than a potential for catching on fire. As soon as more is known will post and hope you will do the same.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:02 PM

I just got an email from Mazda telling me about the recall. Twenty minutes later I recieved a phone call from the originating salesman telling me to take the vehicle in. I recieved yet another phone call from the Service mgr. he told me to get the car in there and they will give me a loaner / rental. I am begining to wonder if I should have bought the first US generation of the Mazda 5.

This is the email I got:
Dear JAIME,

When you took delivery of your 2006 MAZDA5, we made a commitment to you to stand behind the quality and safety of your new vehicle. It has recently come to our attention that the exhaust system of your vehicle could have a safety-related problem that may cause a fire.

Although no one has been injured to date, your safety is our highest priority. We ask you to immediately contact your local Mazda service department so they can make the necessary repairs. We have also asked your selling dealer to contact you directly.

Based on parts availability, it could take as long as one month to repair your MAZDA5. We recognize how inconvenient this is, so we have instructed our Mazda dealers and their service managers to arrange a rental or loaner vehicle for you when you arrive at the dealership. There will be no cost to you.

If for any reason you do not want to drive your MAZDA5 to the dealership, you may contact Mazda’s 24-hour roadside assistance service at 800-866-1998 and have the vehicle picked up and delivered to the dealership. Again, the dealership will arrange a rental or loaner vehicle.

We sent you this letter before the official recall notification, which you’ll receive soon, because we wanted you to have the opportunity to begin the repair process on your MAZDA5 as soon as possible.

The MAZDA5 is the most talked-about new vehicle in our lineup and one that has generated some of the best word-of-mouth sales we’ve ever seen. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we’ve caused and for interrupting the enjoyment and driving pleasure of your new MAZDA5.

Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to call our Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-5500.

Sincerely,

Robert T. Davis
Senior Vice President
Quality, Research and Development

Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 PM

WOW. Well, I guess this makes me feel better about the fact that my husband is making me wait to buy our Mazda 5. I REALLY want this car, but I need it to drive around kids so I also NEED it to be safe.

It sounds like Mazda is on top of it.

Stuff happens. There is no way to be sure how a car will perform until it is on the road, unfortunately.

In a few months, maybe the car will be ready AND my husband will be ready!

Old 09-20-2005, 01:00 PM

We had our Mazda 5 for 1 day before they took it back. My wife started crying. Now they're giving us a crappy mini-van (a rental). It would've been nice if they'd given us our Protege back.

Although I have no problem returning my 5 due to a safety issue, I hope this car is worth the wait. I even told my wife before the recall 'it's probably a bad idea to buy a brand new model'.

A friend of mine took his Focus back about 9 times in the first year.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 PM

An MPV was the standard rental car to be given to 5 owners. If you ask for a Protege instead they may be able to provide you with one.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Good to know

They gave me a 2005 Dodge Neon. Which drives like a$$

Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 PM

They gave me a 2003 MVP and sill wating [:@]

Old 09-26-2005, 11:23 PM

Hmmm. I have a 5 ordered and due to arrive 2nd week in October. Guess it will be delayed a bit. Bummer. I'll have to drive my non-mini minivan Villager a while more. Oh well. I still think it will be worth the wait.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 AM

ah, the minivan drivers.... haha. glad you made a good decision on vehicles. You wouldnt happen to like nascar, would you? i know around 10 minivan drivers and they all like nascar racing.

Quick Reply: HOT!! Mazda5 Recall