Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Fuel economy of my new mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM

My 2012 Mazda5 GT:

First tank.......18.5 mpg (US)...gauge read 18.0
Second tank...18.9 mpg..........gauge read 17.1

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM

It's gonna vary. I think people tend to forget, it's only 150+ HP trying to move over 3000 pounds. What do you expect? If you wanted a vehicle with high mpg numbers, then the 5 shouldn't have been your first choice based on the MPG Rating..Also remember in keeping with Zoom-Zoom, the gearing ir probably a little on the aggressive side (but not too much). I'm getting 26mpg consistently and have seen 28. I track my economy at fueleconomy.gov site.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Granted.

I'm hoping the fuel economy will improve over the next few thousand miles. I was getting 13.5mpg with my 263-hp CX-9 pulling 4500 pounds and driving more aggressively.

It hurts to only have a 5-speed auto - - I notice the higher RPM at 45+mph. One more gear would really help. Maybe next year.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM

i have a 2010 furrano and am averg about 29-30 mpg and thats round town 38 mpg on a run

Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM

not true my old 2009 mazda 5 van got the best of 32 mpg . and all the time would get from 26 to 30 mpg with a 2.3 motor the mazda 3 hatch weights weights over 3,000 and gets good milage . the new 2.5 motor has a lot of bugs in it that have to be worked out . mazda is selling it as a better milage motor than the 2.3 i say bull %$#@. the best i can get is 26mpg on the free way . i am not the only one who thinks the new 2.5 motor drinks more gas . i talk to a lot of mazda owners who are not happy with the new 2.5 motor when it comes to getting milage . some are getting as bad as 16 mpg on in town driveing .that i have talked to.. my mazda 6 with a 2.5 motor does not get that great of milage the best is 28 mpg and it gets from 21 to 25 all the time .my old mazda 6 with a 2.3 got close to 36 mpg and got from 27 to 32 mpg all the time . i just had mazda put full systhetic oil in my 2012 mazda 5. going to see if that helps milage . my next move is a K&N air filter . with gas going up to over $4.00 gal. i do like the power of the 2.5 but thats about all. i like about the 2.5 motor . i hope mazda gets there act together and does something about the bad milage the 2.5 motor . is getting . spencerfvee......
Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
It's gonna vary. I think people tend to forget, it's only 150+ HP trying to move over 3000 pounds. What do you expect? If you wanted a vehicle with high mpg numbers, then the 5 shouldn't have been your first choice based on the MPG Rating..Also remember in keeping with Zoom-Zoom, the gearing ir probably a little on the aggressive side (but not too much). I'm getting 26mpg consistently and have seen 28. I track my economy at fueleconomy.gov site.

Last edited by spencerfvee; 04-08-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by spencerfvee
i just had mazda put full systhetic oil in my 2012 mazda 5. going to see if that helps milage . my next move is a K&N air filter ....
Synthetic oil will typically only help fuel economy immediately following a cold start in winter weather; once oil is warmed up there is virtually zero difference in the lubricitive properties of synthetic versus conventional oil. That said, I'm an advocate of synthetic oil for many other reasons; not the least of which is longer engine life with less maintenance.

As for the K&N (you already know what I'm going to say without reading further), absolute waste of money, a K&N won't positively influence your fuel economy one bit; scientific fact of life.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM

As for the K&N (you already know what I'm going to say without reading further), absolute waste of money, a K&N won't positively influence your fuel economy one bit; scientific fact of life.[/quote]

The thing about K&N filters and the many types like them is that they are most certainly for racing applications. i.e. 6000 rpm and higher, and if you drive around in that rpm range... well... you shouldn't worry about mpg.

just my $.02

Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM

dang i guess i better stop reading whats on the bottle of full synthetic oil they say it improves milage them %$&*@. they lied to me.. i think i am going to sue them .allso K&N lied. to . i think i will sue them with your help we can make a lot of money . all you have to do is show up in court and tell them they they lied lol lol lol joke just haveing fun with you guys. i am a person who tries some thing first . if it works then i will say it works if it does not work. i will say it does not work ..i use full synthetic in my race car and like it . i use it because it does not break down from heat . my friends use it in there turbo race cars .it hold up way better than none synthetic oil . i shift my race car at 8,500 rpms at the drag strip. i just got done rebuilding my race motor.. after 5 years of drag raceing and the bearings look just as good as the day i put them in 5 years ago . spencerfvee
Originally Posted by shipo
Synthetic oil will typically only help fuel economy immediately following a cold start in winter weather; once oil is warmed up there is virtually zero difference in the lubricitive properties of synthetic versus conventional oil. That said, I'm an advocate of synthetic oil for many other reasons; not the least of which is longer engine life with less maintenance.

As for the K&N (you already know what I'm going to say without reading further), absolute waste of money, a K&N won't positively influence your fuel economy one bit; scientific fact of life.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by spencerfvee
dang i guess i better stop reading whats on the bottle of full synthetic oil they say it improves milage them %$&*@. they lied to me.. i think i am going to sue them .allso K&N lied. to . i think i will sue them with your help we can make a lot of money . all you have to do is show up in court and tell them they they lied lol lol lol joke just haveing fun with you guys. i am a person who tries some thing first . if it works then i will say it works if it does not work. i will say it does not work ..i use full synthetic in my race car and like it . i use it because it does not break down from heat . my friends use it in there turbo race cars .it hold up way better than none synthetic oil . i shift my race car at 8,500 rpms at the drag strip. i just got done rebuilding my race motor.. after 5 years of drag raceing and the bearings look just as good as the day i put them in 5 years ago . spencerfvee
Are you suggesting that you have bottles of synthetic oil that claim fuel economy improvements? I've read quite a few myself and have yet to see one from a reputable manufacturer (Amsoil need not apply for that classification) which makes such a claim. What's the name of the oil you use; I'd love to read their bottle.

As for K&N filters, contrary to common myth, they don't claim fuel economy improvements either.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 AM

as for you putting down K&N filters why do all the tunner books /.i read do dyno test saying the air intakes with K&N filters do make more power on the dyno allso they have done test with full synthetic oil . showing that full synthetic makes more HP than none synthetic oil ..if you make more hp you will have better milage . i should have said in there adds on TV on better milage with synthetic oil . allso they show more power useing a after market exaust system . all the tunner cars i see at the drag strip have all the above . i built a 2003 mazda miata i used a cold air intake with a hood scoop headers cat back exhuast mazda speed sport muffler light weight flywheel befor i did the above the miata would only do 115 mph tops and got only 28 mpg ..after i did the above my top speed was 132 mph milage went up to 32 to 34 mpg on the street i used full synthetic oil i found out useing the above parts does make HP and does improve milage when used as a group ..i know what works for me because i tryed it and it worked .all the tunner books cant be wrong and you be right . i see your set in your ways ..this is a no win thing on oil and after market acc. ..you think your right and i think i am right lets just leave it at that lol spencerfvee .....5spencerfvee..
Originally Posted by shipo
Are you suggesting that you have bottles of synthetic oil that claim fuel economy improvements? I've read quite a few myself and have yet to see one from a reputable manufacturer (Amsoil need not apply for that classification) which makes such a claim. What's the name of the oil you use; I'd love to read their bottle.

As for K&N filters, contrary to common myth, they don't claim fuel economy improvements either.

Last edited by spencerfvee; 04-16-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy of my new mazda5