Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Electronic Stability Programme...has a mind of it own!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Default Electronic Stability Programme...has a mind of its own!

Hi Room,
I own a Mazda 6 Sport 2.0 (06), ever since I bought the car a few years back I have been experiencing this issue. Every now and again I will hear a kind of grinding noise coming from underneath the car, for a while I had no idea what the issue was but when it happened the car seemed to break a little. I took the car to the dealership but when we went on a test drive with a mechanic the grinding noise never happened (typical!) I got the feeling that they didn’t believe me!

One day I was driving the car and the grinding noise started again, so I pressed the EPS button and the noise stopped immediately! If I switched the ESP back on the noise would start again.

I explained this to the dealership however they said that they had never heard of this issue and they couldn’t help.

It’s like the ESP kicks in when it’s not needed, this happens in all weather conditions and there is no pattern to when it starts, it is just completely random.

If anyone has any suggestion I would love to hear them

Thanks,

Iain

Last edited by Itbestuk; 05-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM

I'd suggest you either have a faulty sensor/wiring fault or an ECU problem. What's happening is the EPS computer thinks you are sliding or out of control and is trying to correct it by applying/releasing the brakes. It could be a sensor such as the yaw sensor is giving a false output which the computer is reading as genuine hence it's not illuminating the lamp or storing any codes. The dealer should plug the car in to see if any fault codes are stored but if there aren't it could be expensive to sort as it's intermittent. Good luck.