Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Diagnosing TPMS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 01:26 PM
Default Diagnosing TPMS Problems

I have as 2009 Mazda 5. I had no problems with the TPMS system until I damaged one of the wheels and replaced all wheels with after market Rims. I also replaced all of the TPMS sensors; the sensors are aftermarket bought on Ebay. For a few weeks I had no problems with the new rims and sensors until I replaced some of the tires (two tires that came with the rims were from 2008). Now the TPMS system sometimes works, but when it doesn't, the light in the dash flashes and I get a TPMS error with the right rear wheel. I tried swapping the right rear wheel with the right front wheel, but I still get the error for the right rear wheel. My first question is does moving the wheels have any impact on how the system reports the respective wheel? Can the system figure out that the right rear wheel was moved to the right front position? So does swapping the wheels and getting the same error indicate that there is a problem with something on the right rear axle? Thanks for any insight on this; I have another sensor to replace the bad one, I just need to figure out which one is bad.

Last edited by jhermann; 01-25-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:46 PM

Are u sure that when those two tires were replaced the tpms sensors weren't damaged?. If the tire shop has a tpms reader they would be able to get the error and fix it. I'm not sure if the CX-5 has auto relearn for tpms or they need to be programmed/cloned..etc.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:51 PM

Yes, I'm sure that the sensor was damaged when the new tires were installed, but I'm not too concerned about placing blame as I have replacement sensors. I just need to find which one is considered the right rear and get it replaced. I believe that the sensors are hard assigned, so if you move a wheel from the rear to the front, it will not change the assignment; the front wheel will still report an error for the rear wheel; I just need somebody to confirm this behavior.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jhermann
Yes, I'm sure that the sensor was damaged when the new tires were installed, but I'm not too concerned about placing blame as I have replacement sensors. I just need to find which one is considered the right rear and get it replaced. I believe that the sensors are hard assigned, so if you move a wheel from the rear to the front, it will not change the assignment; the front wheel will still report an error for the rear wheel; I just need somebody to confirm this behavior.
I'm not too familiar with Mazda's TPMS, but for ex. My cx-5 wont tell u which tire is low, you have to manually verify. But if urs let's u know which tire is the one that is low...then, as u were stating...those TMPS are assigned to an sensor in specific. You should use and TPMS programmer as an Autel ts508. It will provide u with the information that u are looking for. In my CX-5 or the Odyssey I can rotate tires without any issue.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:09 AM

The TPMS is most likely not fixed to where the wheel is because of the tire rotation process. In my experience Mazda's don't usually like after market products. But after every tire rotate or pressure change a TPMS reset is required or the car won't know you changed something. If you still have an issue just replace the sensor

Old 02-08-2022, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JPMAZDA
The TPMS is most likely not fixed to where the wheel is because of the tire rotation process. In my experience Mazda's don't usually like after market products. But after every tire rotate or pressure change a TPMS reset is required or the car won't know you changed something. If you still have an issue just replace the sensor
Yes, that is what I figured as well; I Just don't have the tool needed to isolate the bad sensor.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:43 PM

I've realized that although the cheaper way may seem better by getting after market. But vehicles have oem parts for a reason. And I've come across a lot of issues with Mazda and after market electronics