Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

TPMS light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Default TPMS light flashing

I put these 18" wheels on along with new tires.

Now the TPMS light is flashing after a few miles. Once I turn off the engine and restart, the light is out until a few minutes goes by and the light comes on again. Is it just a matter of resetting the fault code or what? Is there a sensor in each stock wheel? Should I go to the dealer and buy four sensors? Or can I turn the system off? I know, I know, so many questions. Sorry. Any suggestions?

Jim.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Default RE: TPMS light flashing

An update: I've come to the conclusion that the tire pressure sensors in the stock wheels need to be installed in the new wheels as well. A check with the dealer revealed the system cannot be turned off. It's imbedded into the main computer. Since I'm keeping the stock wheels for winter use with winter tires mounted, I have to buy four tire pressure sensors for the new wheels for summer use or non-snow time. Pimping out my wife's ride is getting a little pricey.[sm=headbang.gif]

Jim.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 PM

Does the TPMS come standard on both the sport and the touring models. I got a sport for my wife and I'm looking at getting new wheels. If this is so, I'll give that idea the boot.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:03 AM

Check your wheels. If you have funny looking valve stems, you have TPMS. Wait, that sounded funny. Your car is equipped with the system.

If you plan on getting aftermarket wheels and keep them as the only ones, just transfer the sensors from the stock wheels to the new ones. I'm going to buy new sensors because I want to be able to swap back and forth with the seasons.

Jim.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:59 PM

TPMS stands for tire pressure monitoring system. In my opinion it is kind of retarded. i work at a tire place and they say after every time you fix a tire you have to put new o rings and all this other stuff that i think is dumb. so in turn a tire repair will be almost 50 bucks cause they have to reset the computer $$$. some times those sensors will not fit into aftermarket wheels but what you have to remember to do is reset the TPMS after every time you get a flat or change wheels or whatever. in my opinion i do not see them lasting that long on the market. 75% of all new vehicles in america are equipted with them. by the middle of next year they want 100% of new vehicles to have them. i dont see them going any where$$$$$.