Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

coolant/thermostat issue HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Default coolant/thermostat issue HELP

hey guys new here. I have an 08' mazda5 and I am having some coolant issues. here is how it started.

Last Tuesday my wife said he heat wasn't working. but when she would throttle it would get hot. so I check the coolant. it was low so I topped it off and kept an eye on it. Thursday rolls around and the car over heats. so I put coolant in and I get it home. let it sit cold and the coolant level doesn't move. I have a gurgling from the right side of the motor from the coolant outlet flange. so I can visibly see a leak there. so I did this

Filled reservoir

Took a drive to walmart. (to get coolant just incase)

Noticed the gauge was staying relitivley centered except for a few occasions it went hot. But cooled quick. ( seems like it would happen when I put heat on)

Got to walmart and noticed the level did drop in the reservoir but not a lot

Drove from walmart to the mall with little to no issues and reservoir was empty

Filled reservoir and drove home and it was almost empty again at home. But got home with the needle not moving at all. stayed cool. (heat did not work. It would start hot but gradually and quickly cool off. but it wouldn’t move the temp gauge this time in the car)

So I am losing a lot of coolant as of now and the car is not drivable.

is this a thermostat issue?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Get the system pressure tested and repair any leaks. Then for peace & mind replace the thermostat and replace the coolant with approved coolant. Check operation of the cooling fans.