Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

cold weather - suspension sounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Default cold weather - suspension sounds

Hi Guys,

We have a 2006 M5 GT w/auto. Here's the issue. When the car sits in 'cold' weather- (Live up in Canada), for more than 8hrs or so straight. Once we start to drive, it makes loud, suspension related (i think?) metallic sounds when going over bumps, or applying the brakes hard - which causes the front suspension to compress. After driving around for 10-20min and doing multiple hard stops - again, to compress the suspension, it goes away.

Suggestions? Comments?

Has anyone had this experience as well? If so, what have you done about it? Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Default RE: cold weather - suspension sounds

I just had my 5 serviced, there is a service bulletin for that issue, they need to change the front lower control arms.It solved the problem 100%, hope it helps.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Wow - I'm having that exact problem! I'll bring in to my dealer.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 PM

SorryI didn't have time to reply earlier but now since the very cold weather is back my M5 started to do these sounds again, the dealer is now aware and they will advise me when there is a new TSB

Alex

Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Hi,

Glad to read about this. We live in Waterville, Ohio (20 minutes southwest of Toledo). We have been having the same problem with our Mazda 5 sport. In the morning when we take the van out of the garage it is OK but when it has been sitting in the parking lot in the cold at work all day, I get this sound (like it is bottoming out) when I am on bumpy road or going over railroad tracks.

Glad to hear there is a service bulletin on this. We have an apppointment at the Mazda dealer on Monday (high temp will be 8 degrees) to get this fixed.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:04 PM

The TSB for North American Operations (note USA) is 02-007/06 for the fix. So far I have been on other forum sites and the problem is mainly in colder climates. There is some inconsistency in how dealerships "fix" this known problem and unfortunately the "temporary fix" will be just that temparary unless Mazda Canada agrees to "permanently fix" the problem. I see by the previous posts that some people have had the "permanent fix" applied and are back to being happy Mazda5 owners - not so for me - we are in "discussion".
One would think that Mazda would pay more attention to customers.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here. I called the dealer and have made an appointment as the sound is really terrible! It feels like I'm driving a 30 year old car! The service manager said "we'll check it out but it may just be normal bushing sounds." Normal?? If this is normal, I want my money back.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Here is a link to the TSB so you can read and see if it might apply to your 5.

http://www.mstore2000.com/PDF_Files/02-007-06-1675a.pdf

Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 PM

One good thing (in a way) is that this is not a safety issue - the "clunking", "crunching" noise coming out of the front and rear suspension. I really thought (and still think) the rear end was (is)going to fall off. Give me back my 14 year old Nissan Axxess. Even though, I think this may be causing excessive wear and tear on my new car.
Take your Service Manager for a ride. This is not normal - and you are right, if they think it is normal bushing noise, they can have it back and upgrade you (and me) to the 2007 (if they fixed that model -I would test drive it first).
The more people who ride in my car and hear this ugly noise, the lower Mazda's reputation falls. Too bad it is a great car in warm weather.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi All,

Well i did take mine in last week. A bulletin was issued to the dealers. The dealers on the other hand have been negligent to call those affected. You will have to callit in, give them your VIN number to see if yours was among the group that is susceptible to the "crunching" noises - it's a minor upgrade repair. You will find it does make a difference - 90% improvement. I'm giving it another few weeks to see if the "crunching" diminishes as the joints settle in.

Defniitely take it in as soon as you can.

Quick Reply: cold weather - suspension sounds