Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Cheap, temporary fix for idle/purge valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Smile Cheap, temporary fix for idle/purge valve issue

This may have been posted before, but I've been dealing with the bad throttle body/purge valve/BAD IDLE issue for about 2 years now. With the cruddy stealership here in Santa Fe, NM and all the talk about $$ spent with no real fixing of the issue on the 2.3's, I finally took some time to deal with it. I found a used Throtttle Body off a 2.3 "6i" with much better butterfly action than my original one for $100. This sovled my sticky TB, but not the poor idle. Traced it to the purge valve sticking open causing the dreaded o2 sensor rich condition, that little round valve next to the PCM in the engine bay. (When this valve sticks open, the car just sucks gas fumes from the tank and it's basicly like dumping fuel into your engine while it is trying to run normally) I removed the vacuum line from that valve to the intake manifold and capped both ends. MY 5 NOW RUNS LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! AND NO ENGINE CHECK LIGHT!!!!!!

This may only be a temporary fix on my 07', but for now, it works like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps anyone who has had nothing but trouble from their stealership on this issue and/or no real fix for it. Or like me, who's car was out of warranty by 3 days and the stealersihip wouldn't do squat-ola for me without major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ being shelled out to them. They were so bad, they wouldn't even give me the repair procedures for the purge valve issue without me paying for the whole fix. F them and their bad purge valve/ throttle body design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure on the cost of the part, but you could always just buy the PCV and replace it yourself. Check with onlinemazdaparts and mazdastuff and see what kind of prices you can get for the part itself.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by icspots
Not sure on the cost of the part, but you could always just buy the PCV and replace it yourself. Check with onlinemazdaparts and mazdastuff and see what kind of prices you can get for the part itself.
It's not the PCV, that line goes to the air tube between the air box and the throttle body

This is the Evaporative Emissions Purge Valve, goes between the fuel tank and the intake manifold

THE PART IS $110 FROM MY LOCAL STEALERSHIP AND IS NOT A PART THAT IS LISTED ONLINE ANYWHERE! It's one of those scham parts, underdiesigned for it's use and breaks all the time