Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Car or AndroidAuto blocking phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 12:54 PM
Default Car or AndroidAuto blocking phone

Just some background. My 2020 Mazda cx5 infotainment system was slow and rebooting. I took it to the dealer and they updated the firmware to the latest version. My phone is linked via bluetooth to the car, and AndroidAuto is also enabled. But what I've noticed is that the Google Assistant feature on my phone is blocked unless the phone is plugged into the car. which I only do when using AndroidAuto. I know Mazda introduced wireless AndroidAuto with this update with compatibility with about 20 phones. My phone isn't one of them. I suspect that the car is using that non-functional update to contact the phone so that the phone THINKS it's functional, so disables the use of the phone for things like voice controlled texting etc. So, right now, I can either plug in my phone every time I use the car, or disable bluetooth every time I enter the car, which eliminates anything in the car related to the phone (e.g. hands off phone operation regarding calls, texting, email, etc)

Anyone know what's going on or figured out a workaround?