Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Can I install a catback exhaust considering the recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Default Can I install a catback exhaust considering the recall?

Hello

I am new to this venue, and I want to upgrade my exhaust system by installing an aftermarket unit. I know that the original exhaust was sited as part of the chain of events that could spark a fire in the back of the car. I have since received my Mazda 5 with all of the proper factory repairs done to avoid this problem. Question is: With the stuff that the dealer did to the car, can I get away with safely installing an aftermarket unit? I know that special exhaust hangers were used, and I am just concerned that the after market unit could build up too much heat.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Can I install a catback exhaust considering the recall?

Well I guess the answer is really does theaftermarket system fit the new exhaust hanger design. From what I've readabout the recall. Mazda was really correcting as situation to prevent the darwin effect.!! That is the recall was mostly to prevent not so bright people from driving at highway speed in 2nd gear causing overheating of certain components. While I agree that this is a design issue, Mazda did I think an excellent job of recovering this problem!

Changing to a cat back will probably void the part of the warranty covering emissions and corrosion of the emissions system

Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Default RE: Can I install a catback exhaust considering the recall?

ORIGINAL: was98strat

Well I guess the answer is really does theaftermarket system fit the new exhaust hanger design. From what I've readabout the recall. Mazda was really correcting as situation to prevent the darwin effect.!! That is the recall was mostly to prevent not so bright people from driving at highway speed in 2nd gear causing overheating of certain components. While I agree that this is a design issue, Mazda did I think an excellent job of recovering this problem!

Changing to a cat back will probably void the part of the warranty covering emissions and corrosion of the emissions system
The key is to use a quality exhaust that is manufactuer certified as compatible. Check with Borla and Billy Boat. One of these two likely has a design that is approved or has one coming.

Changing to a cat back won't do much for performance unless you re-configure the intake and combustion cycle. They do sound cool though! [8D]