Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Catback Exhaust system for protege 00'

Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Default Catback Exhaust system for protege 00'

hi guys,

I've been thinking of getting a catback exhaust for my protege 2000, 1.8L, just wondering what people's experiences, opinions and recommendations are.

I'm thinking either a 2" or 2.25" pipe and maybe getting a 4" muffler (canon) at the end? Will this be too loud? Would i need a resonator? Would i lose power?

Not sure on brands or anything like that, i just don't want to lose power, and im looking for a nice deep/sport sound and not like a fart sound.

thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Catback Exhaust system for protege 00'

it's really not a big issue with what kind you get i have a magnaflow on mine i now some people recommed borla. go about 2.25 or 2.5" but don't go to big unless your planning on running alot of air through the engine like a turbo so something. And no with a resgnator you won't loss power it just kills the sound of themuffler, if you have a cat in your car don't get a resignator you won't be able to hear the muffler i regrete putting one on mine cause i spent 400$ on my exhaust and with that resignator you can't hear it.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM

I actually was lucky enough to have someone make a custom one for me. It is 2" with a 4" muffler, and he didn't put any resonators on it. From header to tip its just straight through. I have to say if you want sound then the best thing you can get it a header. I put and OBX racing header on mine. It puts the check engine light on since you are taking the cat off but in the long run it is totally worth it. I get amazing sound and performance. Hope that helps in some way.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 PM

I've got a 2.25" with a wikedflow 4" muffler on my 98. A bit loud, but not ridiculous - and a nice deep sound. It can be a bit annoying as far as talking and driving at highway speeds, but otherwise, I love it.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 PM

thanks for the replys,

I think i may go with a 2" catback and 3" tip canon (muffler). I do want a deeper sound but not overly loud that's why i was thinking of putting a resonator on.

Can you really notice and feel a power increase with the catback? Or is it not that worth it?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM

With my car and my mods I definatley did noticed a difference!!!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by zorbathegreek7
thanks for the replys,

I think i may go with a 2" catback and 3" tip canon (muffler). I do want a deeper sound but not overly loud that's why i was thinking of putting a resonator on.

Can you really notice and feel a power increase with the catback? Or is it not that worth it?
quite the difference - nice little kick and probably 5-10 more hp...it definitely makes a difference...of course, before i put mine on, my old muffler was clogged completely...so bad that it split my head pipe open =p. gotta love those 100k+ cars

Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM

yeah i wouldnt go any bigger than 2" because normally any bigger would be for like a turbo application if you go bigger you might actually lose horsepower. I dont know about anyone else but i dont like big tips so i think a 3" would be a good size its not big but its not small i have a 3" muffler on my mazda protege and it has a low pitch sounds and it sounds really good.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 PM

does anyone know where i could get a nice catback exhaust for my 1.6L 2000 mazda protege

Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 00protege
does anyone know where i could get a nice catback exhaust for my 1.6L 2000 mazda protege
noting that you're in cleveland, just check around various shops, i got mine at this tiny 1-bay shop outside riverside, ca for $200, installed. Being in/near a decent sized city, I'm pretty sure you can find a similar deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catback Exhaust system for protege 00'