Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

buying advice required

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM

petrol, i think its because of the sixth gear, only rev at 2500 at 70 where a 2.0ltr td2 petrol i test drove was about 3500 rpm

Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by podwin
Sorry lnwlf, wasn't reading properly, lnwlf makes more sense.

The DPF is in addition to the CAT, located after the CAT I believe.

I think we are going to get the 2.0 Sport.

We were looking at a 1.8 TS2, also in black, but the Sport looks so much better!

What mpg are people getting from the 2.0?
I got 56 through the M1 roadworks the other day. On an average run to Manchester and back I got 38 but i think on the real short round town journeys its about 28

Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Default New car

We bought a black Mazda 5 Sport, and so far so good.

It is 5 years old with 50,000 miles on the clock, the previous owner replaced the rear dampers and springs (£350+ ) and fitted two new rear tyres 5 months ago.

It looks very smart in black, and seems like its going to be a great family car.

Currently considering an LPG concersion.

Thanks for the help and advice chaps!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Been and put a deposit on a Mazda 5 2.0d ts2 today its an 06 plate with 68k, pick it up friday as the dpf light was flashing so I wanted that fixing as i know they are expensive and it had some rust on the roof so I wanted that fixed too, ive been having a read through and have noticed some probs with tyre wear and rear shocks, I noticed some knocking at the rear when I took it for a test drive today but I thought it might have been the rear trade plate banging, I think im going to have to get them to check the rear shocks while its having the other work done, also the cam belt is going to need replaceing soon, how much would that be at a local garage? I wont be taking it to the stealers!
Ive just part exed my 55 plate Vauxhall Zafira design cdti 150, had absolutely nothing but problems with it for the 2 years ive had it, so im hopeing the mazda will be a lot better!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 AM

We have since found on the previous MOT an advisory regarding the heat shield. This is making a banging / clank type sound form the rear, so you may want to check the exhaust system if you're hearing such noises as well.

The cambelt on the diesel needs replacing at 75,000 miles and I've heard on here Mazda will charge £700 to do it, so maybe a local garage would do it for around £400?

I don't like the sound of the DPF light, it is this reason we opted for the petrol model, as diesels were much more expensive to buy, had cambelts to change and DPF problems. Of the two examples we looked at, the petrol was a massive £1.5k cheaper with less miles (OK it was also bought privately and the diesel was independent trader), but I really do feel the petrols will give less hassle.

Are you doing a lot of miles to need a diesel version?

Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Default LPG conversion

I have a 1.8 TS2 and considering an LPG conversion.
Anyone thought of this?

Originally Posted by podwin
We bought a black Mazda 5 Sport, and so far so good.

It is 5 years old with 50,000 miles on the clock, the previous owner replaced the rear dampers and springs (£350+ ) and fitted two new rear tyres 5 months ago.

It looks very smart in black, and seems like its going to be a great family car.

Currently considering an LPG concersion.

Thanks for the help and advice chaps!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tetchy100
Been and put a deposit on a Mazda 5 2.0d ts2 today its an 06 plate with 68k, pick it up friday as the dpf light was flashing so I wanted that fixing as i know they are expensive and it had some rust on the roof so I wanted that fixed too, ive been having a read through and have noticed some probs with tyre wear and rear shocks, I noticed some knocking at the rear when I took it for a test drive today but I thought it might have been the rear trade plate banging, I think im going to have to get them to check the rear shocks while its having the other work done, also the cam belt is going to need replaceing soon, how much would that be at a local garage? I wont be taking it to the stealers!
Ive just part exed my 55 plate Vauxhall Zafira design cdti 150, had absolutely nothing but problems with it for the 2 years ive had it, so im hopeing the mazda will be a lot better!
Well it turns out the knocking at the back was/is the shocks/springs, that ontop of the rust, the dpf and some of the electric windows not working from the drivers console has totally put me off this car, ive done a few hundred miles in it since I picked it up last friday and its seems to be heavy on diesel but the TS2 spec being what it is ie not even got a trip computer im not sure exactly what mpg I have been getting so I have phoned the dealer I got the car from and told them I want to swap the car for another, ive decided to go for a Seat Altea XL 1.9tdi stylance, the only 2.0tdi that they had has sold, im just currently waiting for the paper work to go through before I pick the Mazda goes back and I pick the Seat up! A bit of advice, shop around forst and try a few cars before you sign anything, im quite lucky that the dealer has agreed to swap cars for me!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Doesn't sound good, but I know the windows is a result of a flat battery, for which there is a reset procedure.

You shouldn't have any bother with the Altea, the 1.9 is rough but tough. The 2.0 on the other-hand, oil pump failures and injector failures on the 2.0 VAG TDI from 2005 to 2007 are providing owners with four figure repair bills.