Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2012 mazda5 things i like and dont like

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Default 2012 mazda5 things i like and dont like

hi every one. i have a 2012 mazda5 GT i have had my mazda5 since feb i have put over 3,000 miles on my mazda5 GT . so i feal i can say what i like and dont like about the 2012 mazda 5 GT .. allso i used to own a 2009 mazda5 GT . here goes thing i dont like about my 2012 mazda5 GT ( or i should say i miss on my mazda5 GT ) the number 1 i miss the milage my 2009 mazda5 GT got . it had the 2.3 motor i allways got from 24 to the best of 32mpg . i miss the white face speedo the GT had . i miss the temp gauge .(what ever happend to cars with oil pressure and temp. gauges ? come on mazda zoom zoom my butt) my new 5 has a blue light that comes on when the motor is cold goes off when motor is at temp. i dont like the small trip OD . ever try to read the miles you have gone .with out glases on lol . i dont like haveing to turn on the cruise control . after i turn the van off . when i restart the van i have to turn the cruise control back on i know its not a big deal . i dont like the door locks locking the van when i turn the van off. i cant get out of the van. i have to unlock the doors its a pain in the butt. if you just get back from the store and you want to unload the doors are locked . you would think one click would open all the doors not you have to click two times to open the side doors lol i know not a big deal but if your in a hurry lol i miss the LED tail lights . there no more on the 2912 mazda5 . i wish mazda would put the dam fuel door handle on the dash lol i keep forgetting to pull the handle when i get out of the van to refuel . the new mazda5 does not have a chrome tailpipe you have to buy one from mazda for $60.00 one more thing that the old GT vans had as standerd on the GT van . i wish mazda would put on better tires the ones that come on the van are junk they dont last long . i miss the built in navigation system but the $2,000 cost was very high. the biggest thing i miss is milage the 2.5 just does not get good milage i went on a trip and it was 300 miles and i was on the freeway most of the time i only got 26 mpg my old 2.3 would have got 32mpg the bad thing was gas just went up to $3.80 gal. and they say gas is going to be $4.00 to $5.00 gal this summer thats about it on things a dont like about my 2012 mazda5 . the things i like about my 2012 mazda 5 ..dont get me wrong .i love my mazda 5 van .its one of the best mazdas i have owned to date . and i have owened over 15 mazdas over the years . i like the new seats they are bigger and softer . a + when your on a trip . i like the new dash . every thing is in eye sight . i can keep my eyes on the road . and read the dash . i like the head room . i like the seats that fold down into a bed . i tryed it not bad to lay on . i very much like the new look . of the mazda 5 . i lot of people dont like the smile face but i do . i do like the look of the rear of the van . . i like the way the van handles . its like driveing a sports car . i like the trac controle. the power of the new motor is wecome .i had 3 people in my van on a trip and it pulled hills like they were not there . my friends like the van because it has leg room in the back . and they say its easy to get out of . all in all its a great van . i feal mazda has cheapend the GT .buy not haveing the LED tail lights. no temp gauge . no white face speedo . no chrome ex tip .these were aLL STANDERD on the 2010 GT mazda 5 you could allways tell a GT 5 now they all look the same . all so i would like to see more accessorys for the mazda 5 if your going to buy one. buy it now . mazda is haveing a shortage of mazda 5 and all there other cars .. there talking 90 days beford mazda gets back to full swing . in japan . there is a parts shortage. in japan and they cant build cars .with out parts . allso there will be a parts shortage here in the USA . from what i have been told by a mazda dealer rep. take care spencerfvee

Last edited by spencerfvee; 04-05-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Hmm... Not to sound mean, but try some paragraphs

Gas up here in Canada is way more expensive. If we do the conversion from US to CDN Dollar, then the conversion from Liter to Gallon, we are currently paying about $5.20 US/Gallon. That sucks! Enjoy your $3.80 while you can!

I agree on the LED taillights. I have a 2008, and definitely prefer the look of the rear end of this model. I like the front and profile of the 2012, but hate the back.

Doesn't the cruise control turn off on all vehicles when you turn the car off? Its as simply as clicking "on" on the steering wheel... not a big issue there I wouldn't think.

Lack of Temp gauge seems weird. Wonder why they would do that.

The nav systems packages are insanely expensive. its stupid. You are better off going to a car audio store and buying a high-end aftermarket unit - cheaper, and better! (this is one I have had my eye on, but can't convince my wife: AVIC-Z120BT - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth and 7" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

Anways, there are my two cents

Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM

I've had my 5GT for three weeks now. The tires and exhaust tip didn't bother me since I replaced both on day one:

I agree with the comment about Mazda's "idiot lights." Very tacky. In fact, I've always disliked those tire pressure monitors, as they're so sensitive they become annoying. My new tires don't have sensors so I placed a small black stickie to cover up the "warning" light.

No standard Homelink on the top-grade GT is also cheap. Fortunately my garage opener is black so I Velcroed it to the left side of the steering column - - completely unobtrusive!

Fuel economy: very poor for a 2012 four cylinder. I'm averaging 18mpg (US) it mostly conservative city driving.

The driver's seat lacks enough rear travel: I'm only 5'11" and keep trying to move the seat further back.

The fabric used in the floor mats is cheap: the gum-rubber soles of my sneakers started chewing up the mats right away, so I had to buy different shoes. (My CX-9 was the same way - - the mats were worn through at the heel in less than a year.)

Although Mazda found five cubby-hole spaces in the dash for misc. storage, none are very usable. They all are hampered by hard plastic surfaces, so loose change, sunglasses, etc. slide around and make a racket. Unusable! I've been looking for rubber matting to glue in (!) but haven't yet found the right material.

The cupholders between the front seats are too shallow - - drinks tip sideways about 45 degrees.

I definitely wish there was a turbo option for the 5. Acceleration is 'leisurely.'

What do I LIKE about my new 2012 Mazda 5 GT?
  • Love the styling, especially the rear taillights.
  • Love the space utilization for both people and cargo.
  • Love the rear captains chairs with the stowaway center console.
  • Love the sunroof, although I find it too noisy for freeway use.
  • Love the size at 1,000 pounds lighter than Odyssey, etc.
I'm just waiting for Mazda to introduce a turbo model.

Last edited by johnnieboy; 04-04-2011 at 12:05 PM.