Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

The do's and dont's

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Default The do's and dont's

Thought i would try to make this a worth while post, just post the do's and donts when having to turbo, i dont have any now, but all i have is a rumor.

I heard thet your not supposed to rev it up past 6500rpms when your parked, dunno why....anyone care to comment

Old 05-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Default RE: The do's and dont's

why would you want to rev the engine like that in park anyways...in any car?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:20 AM

that rumor is stupid, first o fall who would do that, 2nd why 6500 RPM? damaging engine RPM would vary by car, and the fact that it isn't moving wouldn't do anything unless you held it at that RPM (once again ehy would you) and let it heat up without airflow through the radiator but this applies ot all cars.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts that I've heard from turbo Rx-7 owners.

DO have the proper sized wastegate
DO install a blowoff valve for optimum performance
DO let the engine warm up and cool before turning off

DON'T clamp a cone filter directly to the turbo (the turbo will heat the plastic and scck in the paper filter)
DON'T run really rich fuel mixtures (any non ignighted fuel will ignite inside hot turbo and decrease turbo spindle life)
DON'T overboost

Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 PM

yeah u shouldnt sit and rev ur car that high ever u wouldnt even rev that high to launch so i dont c y ud do that other than to show off ur blow off valve at some ricer car meet and let everyone no u have a turbo
i agree with the previous posts donts plus:
let the car idle for min b4 shuttin it off if u have trouble remembering this get a turbo timer or dont drive for the last 5 mins in boost before u park
dont up the boost without tuning ur car(overboost)=boom
let the motor warm up b4 giving it
never plug the wastegate to attempt to get more boost(will cause a boost spike)=boom
if u up the boost up the fuel adjust the timing colder plugs etc.

yeah u dont rev it past 6500 cause theres no point even with launchin on slicks u wouldnt hold it at 6500 under full boost to launch

BIGGEST DO:USE COMMON SENSE-eg. advancing the timing is not a free way to get power but a way to pre detonate a turbo motor.
do:run a cold air intake off the turbo then put the filter on that(colder air=more dense=more power)

Old 11-23-2007, 07:23 AM

i wanna buy a turbo kit for my mazda 6 but i got a question can i just slap a turbo on the 6 without changing/upgrading anything in the engine if i can what is the safe psi level without changing anything under th hood

Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Your engine internals should be good for at least 6 psi (I've heard higher), but you're going to need more than just the turbo (you need a fuel mgmt system to control the engine witha turbo, the stock system won't accommodate it.)

Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Delta, get a quality kit that should include everyhting you need. The standard for street boosting and quality, as well asustomer service seems to be (by all accounts) Hi-Boost. I'm told and have read that they do it right the first time.
Got 4 grand?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Tracker
I haveheard that your not supposed to rev it up past 6500rpms when your parked, dunno why....anyone care to comment
Free revvingnot a good idea w/ANY unloaded engine.(< < I know, I know. But I am a life-long member of the Department of the Redundancy Department.)
When under load, the engine has something to push against which helps compensate for the built in (and necessary) tolerances in the engine components. Without a load, the pistons will slap back and forth and can scrape cylinder walls. This effect is also hard on the rings. The connecting rods also have nothing to hold them back and will slap back and forth on their crankshaft journals as well causing excessive wear on the bearings. And on, and on down the line....
An engine w/no load against it will also rev faster, multipying that wear. It's very possible the oiling system won't be able to keep up under such conditions as well.
Hell, that's hard enough on a street engine (certainly most) when it is loaded.
In short, it's not worth trying to impress your friends unless you liketo rebuilding your engine more often than necessary.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM

nah i don't have the 4 grand i have about 3 but i just orederd some 17" rims for $600 + $200 for shipping and handling so i'm short $2000 for the kit your talking about about i'll just wait untill i get my taxes back next year besides i'm not in a hurry i live in worcester Mass and the winnter is comming so i'll do everything after the winnter but thanks man i'll look into that kit you were talking about

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Default Anyone know about the JDM turbos???

Ive heard not to install mine on my mx5. but Idk...anybody have experience or knowledge on this one???

Quick Reply: The do's and dont's