Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2012-2015 Mazda5 Owners: Any Guidance/Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Default 2012-2015 Mazda5 Owners: Any Guidance/Insight?

Hey guys, new member here and potential future owner. I realize I'm a bit late to this forum as it seems there isn't much talk around this board since this model was discontinued, and most of it surrounds the 2006-2010 model. But I thought I'd see if there are any 2012-2015 Mazda5 owners that can chime in with their experiences. I'm looking to change out my trusty 08 Honda Fit with something that provides a little more room for the 2 kids with the capability to add the occasional family/friend passenger or storage going forward, and this car seems to be the one nice fit out there in terms of expanded seating without being too large, too poor on mileage, or too expensive for a fairly new'ish vehicle. We've done a few test drives and are generally pretty impressed with the car, and all my research hasn't revealed any obvious flaws or weaknesses with them, just a fairly reliable vehicle that's a little more fun to drive than the typical large minivan. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for or wary of when inspecting possible options? I know used cars generally come with hidden issues, and I'm not expecting it to be problem free, but my Fit has been so trouble free that frequent repairs would make me regret moving on from it. I know the previous generation had suspension and rust issues, and tore up tires fast, and I've read of some issues on this model with that, but not widespread, at least not yet. There aren't a ton of these around, but I can usually find about 5-10 or so in the 50-70k mile range near me at all times, and that's probably the mileage range we'd be looking at. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Hey, don't know if I am in time or to late and you have purchased but here goes with my two cents anyway. I just bought a 2012 Mazda 5 and am not at all happy with it. Drive it some distance on highway and such for a while. In my opinion the drivers seat is hard and uncomfortable and the road noise inside the car is as bad as I remember on any car I've owned. Also if you have anything you want to haul on a regular basis. Actually try to fit in the cargo area. Size is deceiving. It looks big but with the high load floor and low roof I can't even get my bike in without taking the front wheel off. You may very well fit more in your fit. If you really check it out and it fits your needs. Get it. It's not that bad a car. I guess.