Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

wheel spacers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Default wheel spacers anyone?

I'm trying to enhance what mazda has already given us in the3- cookin up some ideas aboutextra cosmetic things i can blow my money on. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions about wheel spacers... It looks like eibach would the the brand of choice for the 3 - offering spacers from 5mm (.19 inches roughly) to 25mm ( just about a full inch). I guess my only concern would be vibration at high speeds and not being able to lower the car with the spacers on (clearance reasons). Im plan on using them with my stock 16inch alloys...theyre awesome in my opinion. From all the advertisements, it sounds like it'll make your car look pretty mean...any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: wheel spacers anyone?

Basically changes the offset and spaces your tires closer to the wheel well lip. Increased reciprocating mass.

Changes looks, decreases performance. If looks are your thing, then go for it.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb]Unless you're planning to put wheels on the car w/a greater offset than they already have (+52.5mm,) this is not a good idea imo. And good luck trying to find wheels w/a +60mm offset.
Think about it. You'd be pushing the center of thewheel/tire out further. To your steering system, the centerline of the tire contact patch won't be the center anymore. It'll be between 5 & 25mm (per side)further out only the steering gear won't know that. The geometry will be off and no way to comensate for it.
Remember that when ever you turn the steering wheel, the inner tire is actually turning in more than the outer tire to help you turn.If you push the wheels out further than they'redesigned to be, suddenly the tire is scrubbing, or pushing sideways, and you can't turn the car as well. The rack cannot compensate because it was not designed to do so.
It would also put more load on the wheel bearings causing additional/faster wear and tear on them. Take 2 2x4's and a piece of 6" (for arguments sake) cardboard. Stand the 2x's on end and parallel to each other 3" apart. Then place the cardboard on top and push down. Now seperate the 2x's to 5" and do the same. Which way would offer the least resistance to the cardboard.
It's also been my experience that many FWD cars have a narrower track in the rear than in the front. Such it is w/the Mazda3. This helps thecarovercome the FWD's natural tendency to understeer. Space the rear and not the front and you have "plow." Space both the front and the rear and you have a whole series of misalignments.
Remember the "roller-skate" car movement about 10 years ago? Why do you think ppl (kids mostly) stopped doing that?
If you're going to do it, I've always been told to keep the differencewithin 5mm+/- of OEM, butwouldn't go there, Man.Why waste the money and cause more headaches for yourself, now, and down the road?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 PM

i heard some stuff about blowin out berrings if you push the wheels out too far...ive already lost interest in this idea after thinking about it for a little while. lol i think i can do better with a hundred bucks...like save for springs.

thanks for the input.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 AM

ive heard stories of wheels falling of cars from having wheel spacers on...the lugs would not tighten like normal and would loosen when the car was driven. ive also tried wheel spacers for a day. it definitely makes the car look alittle better, and i swore there was a handling improvement, but overall the ride did not feel safe enough anymore. i took them off at the end of the day because i began to feel a vibration in the wheel/ride, and when i went to take the wheels off, the lugs were already working themselves loose.