Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Seats..Arggggg - Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Default Seats..Arggggg - Spacers

the skinny.

My leg goes numbe as there is poor room to rest my gas foot safely. I am finding that the only comfortable (and dangerous) position for my foot is below the gas or brake pedal no matter what I do. I would probably be ok if I cut 6 inches from my shins and extend my forarms the same amount. This is be far the most uncomfortable car that i have unfortunately purchased. I will have to re-read the lemon-aid book to see if this issue was mentioned.

Fixing the problem.

People have mentioned replacing the seat but I am wondering if I can raise the seat or just the front edge with spacers to try and gain some more leg room. Has anyone tried this?

For now, I get some relief by putting a pillow under my gas foot for long drives. I may custom make a pillow if a better solution is not found.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Default RE: Seats..Arggggg - Spacers

push your seat back... No really I have never heard anyone say this about any car. How tall r u?

I dont see why you couldnt put some washers under the front of the seat to tip it back some. the wifes saab has electric seats and it tilts back like your saying.
I would give it a try. alot cheaper then trying a new seat
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Are you particularly tall? The steering column does telescope as well as tilt (some don't realize it telescopes)

I'm 5'9" and put 53,000 miles on my 3 in 2 years and it was very comfortable for me.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have this problem and though I haven't tried it with this car yet I did that when I owned my
Honda using some over sized nuts between the seats rails and the floor. It was an improvement and I did gain some additional thigh support. It's worth a try, IMO.
I recently had my car back for it's last warranty service (twice) and the dealer lent me 2 different 08 6i VE's. Both had 8-way power driver's seats and one of the things I loved most about the cars was that I could find a fully comfortable and supportive driving position. My 3, as w/my Honda, was always something of a compromise... And I am only around 6' tall w/an average length torso.
This is about THIGH support, guys. Lowering the driver's seat doesn't do it.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Although I am 6'2", I fit fine in mine, but I did the same as V1 on my old Toyota Corona, about 3/4 of an inch worth with a nut and 2 thick washers and it helped a lot [8D]

Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 AM

Actually, I am not so tall. 5' 7"

I find that putting the seat back is not an option as the telescopic and tilt don't quite give me enough to be comfortable.

I really miss my eagle talon. I could be comfortable whether I laid across the back seat or sat like a church lady with my broach sitting on the airbag...hmmm... It allowed me to alter the support on the front of my seat.

Thanks for all the reply's. I did some research and find that this is an issue for some. I find that it and the Honda's are compared to not be so friendly. I may add half an inch to the front pillars as suggested.

thanks again.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've been thinking about it myself for a while. I have tomorrow off and may just try it too!! I LOVE good thigh support. It can make all the dfference in a fast corner... and a long trip too.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Blue,
I finally tried this today and I don't know what took me so long.... I did both front seats.
You will need: A wide flat tool like a hard scraper to pop off the plastic trim. A 14mm socket and ratchet. I used 2, a 1/2" drive for loosening it (that sucker was really tight!!) and a 3/8" to spin the bolts out (speed.) 4-10mm x1.25mm x40mm bolts. 12- 7/16" Flat washers.4- 1/2"x13 nuts. A 17mm socket.
Without loosening the rear bolts at all, I removed the front trim and stock bolts. I pried up the front of the seat and sandwiched a 1/2" nut w/2 flat washers and stuffed them in between the floor and seat rail. Put another flat washer on top followed by a new bolt (17mm head.)
I lowered my seat by nearly three full pumps, readjusted the back rest (rake) where I like it, and I can tell you that those little side bolsters DO WORK, if you are seated properly. ILOVE it, just like my Honda!!!As an unexpected additive, I always had trouble seeing my gauges/instrument cluster clearly when driving. W/the new adjustment, no problem. Oh, it's still close, seeing the top of the tach, but it is much, MUCH easier for me now...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 PM

V,

Hey Cool, I will give it a shot.

After that I may check out the tilt to see if I can mess with the stops. Has anyone taken a good look past the plastic for the steering column mechanism?

cheers

Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm 5'9" and have a wider chest with shorter arms. I have the wheel all the way out, I'm probably about 1/3 of the way up, adjusted forward to put the ball of my foot on the pedal, and I get a comfortable lean in the seat with some lumbar support. I find it comfortable after all the adjusting. It did take me a little time to get it all set right though.