Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Wheel Balance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Default Wheel Balance

Anyone having trouble with wheel balance on their 2007 M3's. Mine has 1800 kms. Seems to have a symptom of unblanaced wheels at 80 to 120 kph. I opted for the 16 inch rims/Moonroof package. Car is at the dealer now. Just thought it odd to be having this problem so soon. I noticed that the rims have some stick on style weights in the centre of the rim. Not like the ones they hammer into the side of the rim. Wonder if one of the 5 oz weights flew off. Never the less. It did not do this the first 1500 kms I put on it the first week.

Cheers.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wheel Balance

Possible, but not likely a weight.
If they (the dealer)rebalance them and you continue to experience a problem some time later, I would suggest that you have a bad tire, or tires.OEM tires usually suck, whomever they're made by.
I once had a Honda I thought was a serious ****box. Bad handling. Vibrating brakes. Then, I replaced the tires. A WORLD of difference. I never would've guessed... and @ the time, I hadn't!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM

Well. They took it for a drive. Then, they say they rebalanced all of the tires. They say one wheel was out by 2.5 oz. Not very much. Now, this morning I did not notice any vibes. We'll see. As for the tires. Toyo's. of some nature. They don't have a high tread life. So, I suspect I'll be changing them at 30,000 kms or a couple of years. Really like the looks of those Goodyear triple treads. But they are expensive.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

After three sets of overpriced GoodYear's over the past 10 years on three different vehicles, including the RS-A's that came on my 3, and some really bad experiences w/GY Customer Service, I have sworn off BadYear's for life. [:@]
You can do MUCH better for much less $$$.
They may be one of the standards for race tires (or not. Afterall, many race cars are usuallycaptive to the series they race in,) but their street tires SUCK WIND!!!!

Just one person's opinion.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM

I have had bad experiences with Goodyear as well. Good and Bad with BF Goodrich. I have come to the conclusion that if any warranty is to be had, it won't be with any tire company.

The Triple treads look wild though. I've seen them up close, even touched them.....ummm.

But I am not putting any money into the new car as far as new tires....yet. Wife would kill me.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:45 AM

I have Toyos on mine, I like them actually. They grip the road, cornering is superb I've found. Because they are performance tires, I expect they'll wear faster than the average tire. They do have, however,a treadwear rating of 300, which actually is not too bad, you should be able to get much more than 30000 kms out of them (depending on your driving style, of course). That said, I imagine I'll opt for something with a higher treadlife when I replace the Toyos.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM

You are correct on the handling features of the Toyos. I like them as well. However. From my experience, I prefer a touring style tire. I don't like to feel the road so much. But, they'll do for now. I don't plan on modifying (note to wife) anything on the car. Except tinting and maybe the clear plastic for the front bumper paint. I have the bug deflector already. (That took some explaining to wife) I am whipped, what can I say. Plus, in November I'll be getting winter tires and steel wheels for the car. So, that will extend the life of'em as well.