Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What's your average mpg (km/100l)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What's your average mpg (km/100l)?

Yes, you asrecorrect, VB. Pedal pressure.
They have referred to the process mentioned by the BMW engineers several timesin the Tech Correspondence column, iirc.Essentially you accelerate hard (2/3-3/4 throttle) until you reach a point where you can shift to a higher gear. If accelerating up hill, that rpm level would be much higher than if you were driving down hill, etc, but get into the next gear ASAP. Clearly I don't always follow that line of thinking myself as I do like to rev this car into the higher band, and in traffic sometimes I feel I have to just to get away from the stupids, as I like to call them.
It should also work for an automatic, though you may have to "force the shift" by lifting briefly, or lift-throttle, also sometimes called drop-throttle which is rather confusing.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Yes, you asrecorrect, VB. Pedal pressure.
They have referred to the process mentioned by the BMW engineers several timesin the Tech Correspondence column, iirc.Essentially you accelerate hard (2/3-3/4 throttle) until you reach a point where you can shift to a higher gear. If accelerating up hill, that rpm level would be much higher than if you were driving down hill, etc, but get into the next gear ASAP. Clearly I don't always follow that line of thinking myself as I do like to rev this car into the higher band, and in traffic sometimes I feel I have to just to get away from the stupids, as I like to call them.
It should also work for an automatic, though you may have to "force the shift" by lifting briefly, or lift-throttle, also sometimes called drop-throttle which is rather confusing.

Gracias for the insight. Rememberthe M3 hasthevery 21st century automatic w/sport shift. Forcing the shift is accomplished with a flick of the wrist!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
VB

Yes, you asre correct, VB. Pedal pressure.
They have referred to the process mentioned by the BMW engineers several times in the Tech Correspondence column, iirc. Essentially you accelerate hard (2/3-3/4 throttle) until you reach a point where you can shift to a higher gear. If accelerating up hill, that rpm level would be much higher than if you were driving down hill, etc, but get into the next gear ASAP. Clearly I don't always follow that line of thinking myself as I do like to rev this car into the higher band, and in traffic sometimes I feel I have to just to get away from the stupids, as I like to call them.

I'd been experimenting with pedal pressure to see if I could force a shift, but I never knew it really did anything.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I wasspeaking about fullyautomatic mode, which I think is VB's only option. You (Uber) have the option to chose because of Mazdas tip-tronic manual shift mode.
Most autos will hold the gear (up to a point) depending on how much power you are calling for. Hard on the accelerater (usually)= higher rpm's between shifts. Lighter on the pedal= lower shift points. So if you're accelerating hard, butdon't want to wind her out completely, and you want the tranny to shift at a given point, lift off for a short time until the tranny shifts up.
See what mean? That's how all the autos I've ever driven worked.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM

I thought all Mazda 3 autos had tiptronic. Doesn't VB drive a Mazda3? If he's not driving a Mazda3, why is he here?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM

as far as i know all the mazda3s autos have tip tronic. well perhaps the older ones didnt i dont know. and VB had a mazda6 but got fed up with it over a bunch of **** the dealership put him through and now he hasa malibu. but he still enjoys chatting it up about cars. which is cool.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 AM

IDID the conversion/calculation and Uber is right!! 50.05mpg.

Jaimie, Jaimie, Jaimie. That's impossible.You're doing something wrong w/you calculations. You ain't driving a Prius y'know... and they only get around 45(?) iirc.

"Are you driving downhill with a tail wind?"

Yeah, Ube, he must be!! BOTH ways!!Or, he's got the slickest 3 sedanI've ever heard of. How many coats a' wax you got on there, Boy?? [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
He's aslo got a sail attached to the car, wind eneergy, green. i am late to this thread, my mpg is 26.7 mostly local.
________
Medical Marijuana

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ms3cbm

Hey everyone,

I just got back from driving my car, and I'm averaging 25.4 mpg with mixed freeway, city, and stop and go traffic with the Mazdaspeed 3 2.3L Turbo. Best I've ever seen for average on my car is 27.8 mpg, after driving for about 1 hour on the freeway at 55 mph!

What do you guys and gals average with your cars?
Driving down to Palm Springs to my inlawsfor Thanksgiving I averaged 31 MPGat an average speed of 78 MPH.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:32 PM

wife car.... city driving only... she's getting an avg of 22.7 in the city. ... ... this car rocks!.. .. in about 2 weeks, we'll be going to dallas(first road trip in this car) i should have a better idea of hwy driving!.. hopfully over 30!!

man, and my JMD yellow fogs set those HID's off!!! .sick!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

as far as i know all the mazda3s autos have tip tronic. well perhaps the older ones didnt i dont know. and VB had a mazda6 but got fed up with it over a bunch of **** the dealership put him through and now he has a malibu. but he still enjoys chatting it up about cars. which is cool.
That's basically it.

I was speaking about fully automatic mode, which I think is VB's only option.
My Malibu has a manual option for the first 3 gears (I believe they used a 3 speed with a 4th gear overdrive tranny for this car), but I don't use it unless I'm messing about it first & second - if I try to leave it in third for city driving, I can hear it shifting anyway, but still reading 3rd gear...it's an odd transmission.

Quick Reply: What's your average mpg (km/100l)?