Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What's your average mpg (km/100l)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Default RE: What's your average mpg (km/100l)?

In my 2.0 itouring I've been averaging about 27 mpg. The mileage seems to be getting better as I break the car in more.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: GregDunn

That's not bad, really, because I'm sure no one who owns a Speed3 is going to drive it like a grannywagon and expect 40 MPG.

My 3i Touring is almost to 2000 miles and is averaging a shade over 31 MPG city/highway. Oddly, the harder I drive it the better my mileage seems to get. The engine must be more efficient above 3500 RPM. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
ORIGINAL: virgin1 (from another thread)

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
Even now, Ipretty much never rev it past4000 rpm (to me, the 2.0 "feels" a little strained beyond 4000),I rarely gun it, 99% of the time my RPMs are between 2000 and 3000.

Uber, You may feel it's straining because of the shorter stroke/greater piston speed and velocity. The 327ci I used to have felt the same way in the upper rpm band. It was a weird feeling compared to other longer stroked engine I was familiar with, but it doesn't really hurt it. You just have less torque available up there.

Maybe my thinking is dated. Couple things. One, I read somewhere, I believe it was a recommendation from Porsche for their cars (I realize that my M3 is not quite a Porsche ...), that their engines arenot be run above 2/3 of redline for a sustained period. Two, my former Toyota, near the end when it wasover 10 years old and well into the six figures of mileage on the ODO, burned much more oil when revved beyond 3500. True, the engine (and electrical system, and suspension ...)was arthritic and nearing its Old Yeller moment, but still I took it as an indication of the stresses that revving up a four cylinder engine put on the parts/seals.

So, I ama skeptic re:MPG being better above 3500, and believing that its completely harmless to regularly rev it beyond 2/3 redline (I realize Porsche says 'sustained' but still, if sustained is bad, spikes can't be nothing). I did a little test earlier today, travelling at a constantspeed of roughly 63mph (half way between 60 and 65), using the trip computer, and the MPG was noticeably better in 4th gear versus 3rd gear (bear in mind I have a 4 speed auto, so 4th is my top gear).

Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM

i got a 07 3i touring auto and i drive mostly all city, gettingbtwn 18-21mpg.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM

27.9 by my calculator on the last tank, mixed city and highway with it being 30/70 on the mix.
But if I use Jaimies calculator I am getting about 75 MPG LOL

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

So, I ama skeptic re:MPG being better above 3500, and believing that its completely harmless to regularly rev it beyond 2/3 redline (I realize Porsche says 'sustained' but still, if sustained is bad, spikes can't be nothing). I did a little test earlier today, travelling at a constantspeed of roughly 63mph (half way between 60 and 65), using the trip computer, and the MPG was noticeably better in 4th gear versus 3rd gear (bear in mind I have a 4 speed auto, so 4th is my top gear).
Well, (and still a bit off topic here) I don't completely understand it either. These modern cars are a different breed than what I grew up with.
I will say that for some time now R&T (via the BMW engineers) has been touting the positive affects on fuel mileage using3/4 throttle to get to the next gearASAP. In my 3, that seems to work well, to the tune of 1-3mpg better than being granny.

I'm sure you know this, but higher rpm means greater piston speed/velocity, therefore theoretically more wear. On s short stroke engine this is even more pronounced since the piston travels a shorter distance and has to reachfullvelocity in that shorter travel faster only to have to stop and reverse itself then do it all over again.

All I can say about that is (yeah, my old Civic again) I beat the **** out of a 1500cc CVCC Honda engine that developed, or had a cracked ring in #4 early on (before I owned the car myself,) for over ~110k, ~190k total, and it never used any more oil than when it had 50k on the clock.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

27.9 by my calculator on the last tank, mixed city and highway with it being 30/70 on the mix.
But if I use Jaimies calculator I am getting about 75 MPG LOL

Yeah? Where did you get it Ken. I NEED one of those too.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 PM

I wonder if this is what he is using Virgin

I might have moved the wrong row again LOL

Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! ^ ^ ^ Fun-nney!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I will say that for some time now R&T (via the BMW engineers) has been touting the positive affects on fuel mileage using3/4 throttle to get to the next gearASAP. In my 3, that seems to work well, to the tune of 1-3mpg better than being granny.

I'm sure you know this, but higher rpm means greater piston speed/velocity, therefore theoretically more wear. On s short stroke engine this is even more pronounced since the piston travels a shorter distance and has to reachfullvelocity in that shorter travel faster only to have to stop and reverse itself then do it all over again.

If you could clarify, that would be appreciated.Expand on what"using 3/4 throttle to get to the next gear" means. Is that referring to pushing the gas pedal a certain distance to the floor, or specific RPM targets before upshifting, or .... ?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I will say that for some time now R&T (via the BMW engineers) has been touting the positive affects on fuel mileage using 3/4 throttle to get to the next gear ASAP. In my 3, that seems to work well, to the tune of 1-3mpg better than being granny.

I'm sure you know this, but higher rpm means greater piston speed/velocity, therefore theoretically more wear. On s short stroke engine this is even more pronounced since the piston travels a shorter distance and has to reach full velocity in that shorter travel faster only to have to stop and reverse itself then do it all over again.

If you could clarify, that would be appreciated. Expand on what "using 3/4 throttle to get to the next gear" means. Is that referring to pushing the gas pedal a certain distance to the floor, or specific RPM targets before upshifting, or .... ?
Urban: from the way he wrote, I believe Richard meant pressure on the gas pedal.

I'm trying to help out anyway I can here....I don't really know much about the mechanical processes on a car. xD I'm curious if I could get any better mileage by driving the way Richard is talking about....but most likely not - I have an American car, so my power is in the lower to middle band..

Quick Reply: What's your average mpg (km/100l)?