Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Well I most say goodby

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Well I most say goodby

OMG Aubrey did u call a jetta a chick car... have u ever looked to see who driving all those 3's mostly high school chicks.. thats was another reason to go. at least the chicks in VW's look like they went to college.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Well, EC, if that's how you feel, good thing you made the move.

Not going to get into some big flame war here. Will just say ...

Edmunds gives Jetta a 7.2. It gives Mazda3 an 8.0. Both ratings for 2008 model years, 2009 ratings not yet out.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Your VW was built in and for America.Don't forget that fact, and they haven't been the same since (1980-82.)

But I agree that Mazda is not the absolute epitome of the automotive world either.As you say, things could be better, but they are generally reliable and cheaper to buy and repair, but mine doesn't look like it's 10 yrs old, though it is only 4 as you state.Maybe it's the dog?? I don't have one.

As I stated, I too owned a number of VW's over the years, mostly Rabbits and one Golf. But all the German cars have taken a back seat to Japanese reliability... Benz is among the worst cost/ownership ratio from what I've read. BMW's ain't what they used to be either, and I used to work w/BMW's, back in the day. I drove many of them and at that timehad the highest respect for them.
Audi's used to SUCK ***.I'm talking about the 100-5000 series. They were hard to work on, expensive to repair and always breaking down, but I would even consider a new Audi over a VW these days.
Thing do change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM

just rustling some feathers..... It really has been fun.. and we love our cars no matter what we drive at the time or we wouldnt spend so much time talking about them here and on other forums..
I may be back.. who knows, if the vw turns out to be a dud i will be out looking again in a year.

have a great weekend and later gators.

eastcoaster signing off
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Lev

^^I agree with Virg, (Hey Virg! I've beenalright, just working and going to school. Haven't had much time to come on.)My car has dents in it from people leaning on it and there are chips, but the car is 3 1/2 years old and its expected. I don't know how you can say the jetta handles far better than this car, maybe slightly. I have driven many BMW's and come back intomy car and still am impressed by its handling ability. The styling of the Jetta is more Japanese than German. Everyone on this forum can tell you that a new Jetta looksvery similar to the previous model Corrolla. IMO the previous model Jettalooks better, especially in electric blue with big 5-spoke rims. My car is 3 1/2 years old and there is no shedding on the inside, its still in great condition, despite a few stains.Just remember this is a mazda forum, and we are all going to defendour beloved3's because its a great car.If you had nothing but VW's before, and you didn't have a problem, why did you go with the mazda? If you wanted more peformance, then why didn't you get a speed3 which is around the same price as a 2.0T with options? Don't call Mazda crap when we will all be passing you on the highway while your Mexican made German car is being towed away. ¡Adios!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: Lev
The styling of the Jetta is more Japanese than German. Everyone on this forum can tell you that a new Jetta looksvery similar to the previous model Corolla.
Ohhhh yeah, big time! My first car was an '04 Corolla.

I don't get VW heads these days...can't see a Jetta outhandling a 3. Sure, it's quicker (cough, turbo?), but I'll take a Mazda with Ford influence any day over a Nazibox, sorry. And, uh, speaking of Ford, why the hate there too? IMO, the Focus is an awesome little car, especially the SVT.

And the Jetta is a chick car...I'll concede that the 3 sedan is a bit of a chick car too. Though, to be fair to both sides, anything flashy will become a girl's car...they want anything shiny and showy.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM

I have not figured out the stereotype of who drives a Mazda3, and I do look every time I see one being driven.

As opposed to VW Beetles (new ones, and old ones) where thedrivers seem to be:1) good looking young chicks,2)homosexuals (just stating a fact), 3)People old enough toremember the 60s (teenagers or older in the 60s), 4) Spinstery middle aged gals, and, 5) Computer geek lookingAsians (again, just stating a fact). In other words, lots of people very unlike me. Take away the old people (3), and that's who I always see drivingthe Audi convertible, or a Miata.

The new Mustang, lots of 35-45ish fat guys who have goatees and are proud of their ball caps. The convertible version of the new Mustang seems to be the mid lifecrisis mobile of the moment (lots of bald or gray haired 50ish men).

But I don't have a handle on the Mazda 3. First, you don't see tons of them around,Mazda is nota market force like Honda or Toyota. Diverse group, I think. In the deep purple color, or the burntorange, seem to be driven predominantly by women. Quitea few under 30s in general, it isnota super expensive car after all (outside of the speed version), especially if you buy the entry level stick version. Almost never see them with kids, guess the smallish trunk probably turns off family people, plus the on-a-budgetfamily likely could pick up a Corolla for more than a grand less (at least this was true when I bought, in early 07).

The Speed driver is a different animal.Always aperformance driver (I've talked to a few of them, they can always quote the torque, hpower, how well it handles at 85 mph,etc), they are always super clean, and often have custom rims.