Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Water flooding in the rear and front passenger floor boards! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Thumbs down Water flooding in the rear and front passenger floor boards! HELP!!!

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback 2006 and we recently had some major rain storms that hit us. ever since, the floor boards of our passengar front and back seats get flooded with a couple inches of water.

After some inspection, my wife found that water was coming in through the foot vents that were underneath the passenger seats.

We have taken it into Mazda and they were about as helpful as a retarded slug. My wife spent the entire day there and in the end, they said we would have to take it to a body shop and have our insurance pay for it because whatever the issue is, they wern't going to cover it. Even after we bought the "Total Care" package. More like "Totally Useless Care" package.

My cousin is savvy with cars and said the sunroof drain channels could be blocked and to check it. My question is that how can the passenger floor vent be leaking if the sunroof drain channels are clogged??

Is there any other possible place that could be leaking into the ventilation system?

If so, how the heck do I fix it?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM

I dont think that the total car package covers things like that, they were right to say that a body shop and your insurance company must deal with that, you would need an entire blowup pic of the car's unibody to even get close to where the leak may be coming from.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Red face

I don't want this thread to get riddled with warranty blues as so many people have issues with. But you are right it didn't. Beings that the car is still under 50k miles, and under the whole "bumper to bumper" warranty, they might at least try to figure it out. instead of push us off onto another company.

When I purchased the total care package, I spicifically asked if the Sunroof the parts therein were going to be covered. Of course he said "absolutely it'll be covered."

The reason I asked that spicifically was because I had a volkswagon that the sunroof literally blew off my car while I was driving down the road and they refused to cover it including whatever caused it to come of in the 1st place.

Anyways, onto the topic at hand.

I FOUND THE LEAK!
Or at least the spot where it is coming into the cabin onto the front floor board. (This doesn't resolve the rear passenger seat floor board though) I removed the trim along the passenger side of the windshield and exposed the drain tubes. There were 4 tubes here. what looks like a main BIG clear drain tube, a smaller black drain tube, the antenna wire and a white plastic stick that I assume guides the antenna wire up the column.

The leak up front...
The leak that is filling the front pass floor board is coming from the hole that fastens the kick panel in place. It then runs down around a convientley placed electrical junction with tons of wires and down to the floor.

The BIG drain tube runs down the windshield column and down into the body at the floor kick panel. If you pull on the tube at the bottom, you can pull it out completely and see the end of the tube. Upon inspection it was a little nasty but certainly not clogged up with anything.

My next focus was the smaller black tube. It, along with it's connectors, looks like the kinda tubing you would use on a small garden drip system. I disconnected one of the tube couplings in the column next to the windshield. My water tests showed NO water going through the tube. This concerns me. I'm pretty sure this tube isn't a vacuum tube of any sort lol. But what this also tells me is if this IS a drain line, then the leak is coming from somewhere in the roof, then running down the inside of the body of the car and into the floor. If the leak IS at the top, it would also explain why the front and rear passenger compartments are filling with water.

Where does this little black hose go/connect to? The rear of the sunroof? Is it a drain hose? Anyone?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Yea sorry about that but i have no exp with water damages and although i do have a reason to tear apart my cabin interior i dont have the items i need to replace them, with that being said your actually more ahead of the game than me, the other downside to this that without seeing your car (even though i could just look at mine) i really couldnt give you a better guess than what you would be able to. Sorry

Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM

I know this is two years too late but I discovered something worthwhile today. Also, I've not found anything helpful on the web about leaky sun roofs or clogged drain tubes. I've had my driver side floor wet before and recently the rear passenger sides floor was soaked.

The quote " if you want something done right, do it yourself," takes effect here.

Ok, so if you open your sunroof there are a total of four drain tubes, one in each corner. I traced all the hoses and you can get some H20 and spray or whatever and see if it's actually draining. If not, you have a clog. Trust me, you'll know if it's doing the job or not.

Alright, so the two front drains route all the way the A pillar down through the floor and exits behind the front wheel. The rear drains are the worst.It exits (looking under the bumper) below the rear tail light (you'll see a random hose sticking out. YOu have to remove the rear handle , B pillar trim (just lower it so headliner can drop), and partial c pillar trim. You will then be able fit your hand in there and see the drain. Easy to undue the hose with your hand and stick a blower (air-nozzle) into it and do justice , reconnect, water test to make sure for proper drainage. Hope this helps anyone having the same problems.

Almost done, there was a heavy rain storm here and I think water overflowed and worked its way through the b pillar which ended up under the carpet and yes the roof was fully closed. Lesson learned- sun roofs are cool but never owning one again.