Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

very close to buying my first mazda (3 HATCH)

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Granted, we don't see a ot of snow here in the south, and we are not very prepared for such weather here either. No snowplows or salting trucks. They lay down some sand in snowy/icey weather which doesn't do much after the first 3 cars pass over it. But as far as bad weather traction is concerned there are only three little words I can say about it... Tires, tires, tires!!
Including the OE Bad~Year's, I had 3 sets on my '04 before my current set, and wouldn't even consider trying to go to work in bad weather. Even rainy days upset the traction using the tires I had. They WERE: GY RS-A's (the OE's,) Falken 512's (good when they were new but quickly wore and became dangerous,) and Kumho ASX's (dangerous practically from day one.)
Last year we had about an inch of snow one day and I made it to work with no problems on this latest set, the Continental DWS's. I even passed a cop in his Crown Vickie that day who I'm sure was riding on RS-A's.
Tires can make a HUGE difference in the way any car handles bad weather.
And as far as HP is concerned, when dealing with snow and ice, less is more. Too much HP and all you'll do is slip and slide around.
That is a PERFECT example of why I dont always complain about my low HP, it is very difficult to spin the tires in snow LOL.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Default help...prelude vs mazda3....which to choose for full time car over next 2-4 yrs?

and now i've also come across a 1997 honda prelude to consider too, alongside the 2006 mazda3/75000k, $9500....prelude is 1997, has 98000k, $6500, had $5k in rear damage and is being sold by reputable honda dealership, so had to pass safety inspections.

the practicality of the mazda3 allures me, but the sportiness of the prelude and it's 195hp is enticing...i could always put on some aftermarket mods to the mazda3 to up the 'zoom zoom' factor a bit, but know it won't add up to much (i'm not a young hot rod racer)...

looking to have either car as my main commuter and also wkend warrior for longer drives on the wkends, and to keep over the next 2-4yrs......anyone else had a prelude and care to comment to assist me out of my quandary, kindly?
cheers

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by canali
and now i've also come across a 1997 honda prelude to consider too, alongside the 2006 mazda3/75000k, $9500....prelude is 1997, has 98000k, $6500, had $5k in rear damage and is being sold by reputable honda dealership, so had to pass safety inspections.

the practicality of the mazda3 allures me, but the sportiness of the prelude and it's 195hp is enticing...i could always put on some aftermarket mods to the mazda3 to up the 'zoom zoom' factor a bit, but know it won't add up to much (i'm not a young hot rod racer)...

looking to have either car as my main commuter and also wkend warrior for longer drives on the wkends, and to keep over the next 2-4yrs......anyone else had a prelude and care to comment to assist me out of my quandary, kindly?
cheers
Unless you're going to add forced induction (i.e. turbo or super charger), there are no aftermarket mods which will get the Mazda3 anywhere near the power of the Prelude. This of course brings us back full-circle to buying a MazdaSpeed3 in the first place. I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but as I understand it, a MazdaSpeed3 of any given vintage is generally cheaper than that same vintage Mazda3 5-Door with an aftermarket blower.

Edit: I just checked AutoTrader for my area here in New England and without looking deeper than five cars I see the following:
  • 2008 MazdaSpeed3 -- 41,964 miles -- $18,995
  • 2007 Mazda3 s GT --- 44,349 miles -- $16,999
So, for just a hair under two-grand, you can buy a MazdaSpeed3 which has fewer miles, is a year newer, and has a boatload more power; what's not to like?

Last edited by shipo; 02-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

At least you have the option of the speed3 in the States although I couldnt afford the insurance for anything over 120hp here. Had a Saab with 185hp for 4 months, killed me on insurance..........and parts. Never buy a saab.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Default well i bit the bullet...bought the mazda3

well i bit the bullet...my budget afterall (for used) was cdn$10-13...so mazdaspeed3 was out unfortunately.

the vehicle i bought is the GS 2006 Mazda3 hatchback (2.3 engine) basic model--manual, cloth, no cruise, no sunroof or powered mirrors (my mechanic prefers less frills as less things to go wrong..what a nice guy to make me feel ok with a 'cheaper' purchase) has 75,000KM for cdn$9300....this price was agreed to after we had a full maintenance check done by their (mazda) mechanic...while doing inspection he found either front or rear brakes were down to 10% so the owner had him replace them...nothing else wrong at all...no accidents or claims, one owner, has been serviced by this same mazda mechanic since they originally bought it (they're using the cash to upgrade to the mazda van)

so while i would have liked a mazdaspeed3, for now i'll savour this new vehicle....maybe in a yr or so i'll check out the upcoming diesel car or so..or even trade it in for a mazdaspeed3 or awd 6.

lastly ...there is no rear spoiler w light...the mazda shop said to buy and install it would be with labour and taxes about $460...i'm considering it but is there a cheaper way for my own (non mazda) mechanic to order it and install it himself?

Last edited by canali; 02-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

IIRC, and w/o reading through this entire thread again, I'm guessing you bought the hatchback?
Yeah, for some reason the Canadian cars don't come with the spoiler, but frankly unless driving at high/higher speeds it probably doesn't do much. I do like what it does for the body line though and wouldn't consider removing mine.
What you might do is look for someone that's converting to the MS3 spoiler and buy that spoiler. Or go straight to an MS3 unit, but either way you would likely have to have it painted to body color... unless flat black is OK w/you?

And oh, BTW, Congrats on the new ride, Man!! Welcome to the Mazda family!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Smile

thanks to all who replied...yeah given that i currently drive an old beater, 1986 jetta, with 98 hp (and it's an original german car, still peppy) this new mazda3 will be so much more prideful to drive and just enjoy....test driving that mazda3 just made me smile such that i came back to test drive it 3x (was about test drive an 08 rabbit but people told me about lesser reliability issues on vws, so stuck with mazda3)...it really does have the spirit of a 'poor man's beamer' in an introductory and economical way, at least to me.

Originally Posted by virgin1

IIRC, and w/o reading through this entire thread again, I'm guessing you bought the hatchback?
Yeah, for some reason the Canadian cars don't come with the spoiler, but frankly unless driving at high/higher speeds it probably doesn't do much. I do like what it does for the body line though and wouldn't consider removing mine.
What you might do is look for someone that's converting to the MS3 spoiler and buy that spoiler. Or go straight to an MS3 unit, but either way you would likely have to have it painted to body color... unless flat black is OK w/you?

And oh, BTW, Congrats on the new ride, Man!! Welcome to the Mazda family!!

Last edited by canali; 02-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Need some help on a MS3 choice as well;

I also am looking to buy.
Got my eye on a 2008 Mazdaspeed3, with 127 500k miles (204 XXXkm) for 8000$. I am very iffy about the milage. i believe it is completely stock and has been maintained and treated like a baby. It is in meticulous condition. and everything looks well. what should i look out for?

Help me out with some insight, i know a fair bit about cars, this is just my first speed i have botten.
Thanks