Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Valve tap? Oh oh

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Valve tap? Oh oh

Without a warranty, you wouldn't have any leg to stand on....better to have the warranty in my opinion.

Wear & tear items are clearly listed on the warranty information packet included with your owner's manual (most people don't read this however.)

Warranties are there to protect against latent defects that may get into the field due to manufacturing defects. Cars are very complex systems and as such, statistically they will fail at some point. Cars/parts are assembled by people.....no one is 100% perfect all the time.

If they say it's normal, have them show you multiple cars in the parking lot that make the same noise. All cars of similar content (2.0L Auto) should exhibit the same amount/type noise.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 AM

As I suspected they would say. No fault found. Guess I'll have to keep my eye on it. I work at a truck Volvo dealership. And just because we sometimes can't find anything, does not mean it is not there. This may be intermittent and will require numourous complaints and visits.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Go there and have them listen to it with you present. Point the noise out, then go to another vehicle in the lot and listen to that one. Compare the (2) until they either hear the noise or you agree that the noise could be normal.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM

sstlaure: The problem with the noise is that it only shows up on a morning start. I could hear it in the morning. Drive to work. Work my 9 then go out and listen and it won't be there. I wonder if it is all in my head and am just imagining it. Cause when I dropped it off at the dealer last night. Ask the service manager to come out and listen. Could not hear it. Asked him to listen for it in the morning, he said he would. He said today he could not hear anything. However. I could ask my salesman to go out and start a new car on the lot for me and to listen to that. But, I might just wait and see. I am getting them to do the first service. Why not, early, but it's there. Tried to sell me on the tire rotation. I said, dude, 3500kms on the car. Plus, it's almost Sept. I will be putting on steel wheels and winter rubber. But, damn it, take my money for the oil change please!

I never did ask them if they fixed my speaker. Probably not. No fault found. Shouldn't listen to my music past 15 anyway. It will distract me from driving.................

It will end up being normal piston slap like the Poniacs 3.4 litre.

I hate new cars and I really hate warranty.

I am a sick man. I should seek help.

[8D]

Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM

FYI....It's not unusual for engines to sound a little noisy at cold start-up. All of the oil in the engine has had ample time to leak back down through all of the passages and collect in the oil pan. It takes a little time for that oil to get back to the top of the engine. That's the main reason most of your wear/tear on a vehicles engine is done at start-up.

There are things called "pre-oilers" that you can plumb into your oil system that will allow you to essentially prime the motor with oil prior to start-up.

I've seen 2 types:
1)a physical pump - click oil pump on prior to start-up to feed all of the oil rails
2) pressure accumulator style (pressurized can thatbuilds up oil pressurewhile you drive and holds it, when you are ready to start your engine, you release the pressure built up in the can into the oil system...doesn't do as good of a job as #1, but it's less expensive as well.)

If you live in a cold climate, I wouldn't recommend either system as oil gets too thick for these to work effectively and the can actually cause other issues if things go wrong with them.

I think you should listen to a few of the cars in their lot during a cold start-up...worst case it may ease your mind.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 PM

SSTLURE: I understand how the engines work. I would not put a priming pump on the engine. Car really does not require it. There are a lot of "bottle" products out there that are supposed to prevent wear.

I have had the car for over a month. My routine has not changed a bit. When I heard the noise for the first time a week ago, it was a new noise. I've been under the hood with it running since day one. I know how the engine sounded before this. I have not done anything to the engine, just admired it.

I think one of the valves came loose and need adjusted. I will stick by that until someone proves me otherwise. A loose valve or shim or something else on the head will make the tapping noise I hear, until there is enough oil there to lube it up.

There is no performance problem. Nothing that I can tell to worry about. So I will just have to keep the windows up unitl the oil is thru the system.

I can't keep sending the car to the dealer. I don't want to get involved in the 3 visit trip to get something fixed.

Mind you, the service manager was stressed cause they were overbusy. A cash repair job takes precidence over any warranty diagnosis at dealers any day of the week. I don't care if they get 30 points on the parts. They make more on money in hand jobs all the time.

You work for Mazda?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: LordChrisofSith

I have a personal hate for "warranties". Just leaves room for excuses for the dealer. Can't find anything wrong with it. That's a wear and tear item. blah blah blah. If you are paying cash, they will fix anything you want, whether its broken or not. But, your right, with 3500 k on it. Anything should be covered.
10am and still have not heard anything.
^ ^ ^ What YOU SAID!!!! ^ ^ ^

(A story I told from another thread) A friend of mine blew his inner CV joint. The sucker came apart, so because he had painted his calipers Mazda wouldn't cover the joint repair.
Figure that one out! I dare ya'.

ORIGINAL: mzdaspd304
I notice the same noise after i change the oil myself in the car. I get that until the oil goes through the system but its only a one time thing for me after that I don't hear it again until I change my oil
DUDE! If you're hearing that noise on start-up after an oil change, you REALLY need to learn about priming your oil filter before you install it. That's not good.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM

They make more on money in hand jobs all the time.
Whoah what kind of dealership are you going to? JK couldn't resist.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:14 PM

SSTLURE: I understand how the engines work. I would not put a priming pump on the engine. Car really does not require it. There are a lot of "bottle" products out there that are supposed to prevent wear.

I have had the car for over a month. My routine has not changed a bit. When I heard the noise for the first time a week ago, it was a new noise. I've been under the hood with it running since day one. I know how the engine sounded before this. I have not done anything to the engine, just admired it.

I think one of the valves came loose and need adjusted. I will stick by that until someone proves me otherwise. A loose valve or shim or something else on the head will make the tapping noise I hear, until there is enough oil there to lube it up.

There is no performance problem. Nothing that I can tell to worry about. So I will just have to keep the windows up unitl the oil is thru the system.

I can't keep sending the car to the dealer. I don't want to get involved in the 3 visit trip to get something fixed.

Mind you, the service manager was stressed cause they were overbusy. A cash repair job takes precidence over any warranty diagnosis at dealers any day of the week. I don't care if they get 30 points on the parts. They make more on money in hand jobs all the time.

You work for Mazda?
I'm an engineer at Ford....I'm not saying you aren't hearing a noise, I just know that I've had many instances where I needed to be present to point out the specific noise I was trying to get them to understand. A lot of times the notes put down by the Service Mgr don't do the actual tech any good when he goes to listenfor it.

FYI...Valves don't get "loose" in modern hydraulically actuated valvetrains. You don't adjust the valves. Oil pressure keeps the lifters at the proper height. What you are describing is manual valve lash like what is found on older push-rod/mechanical lifter engines. (I believe still very common on motorcycles.), but unheard of in modern engines other than in real high-performance applications. (Mainly because servicing these types of valvetrains is very labor intensive, some motorcycles have to have the valves adjusted every 5,000 miles to keep them running right.

You could try borrowing a sound amplifierto try to pinpoint the noise. (Basically a set of headphones with a microphone attached, place it near the engine and move the mic around until the sound is at it's loudest point.) I've seen one called the "Engine-ear"

Not being negative on your situation....just trying to help.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM

I thought that looked funny. Should of edited that one.

Quick Reply: Valve tap? Oh oh