Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Turbocharging a 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Turbocharging a 3

ORIGINAL: EthereaL

ORIGINAL: MikeMzda3

if you need to ask that question, you probably shouldn't be turboing anything.
I don't know you or anything but that doesn't mean flame me, but of course there will always be people like you who will post those comments. There are people (including myself) that don't know anything about turbos and are on this forum to communicate with other peopletoget their opinions on things that they want to do to their car or problems that they are experiencing. If you have the time to say that much thena simple answer such as "Hiboost turbo" would have been waybetter than being an *******. And for the long run, maybe I don't know as much as everyone on this forum, but everyone starts somewhere.
I have to agree.Asking questions we don't know the answer to, and learning something new is what it's all about here. You keep on asking questions Ethereal.that's how we learn.

AND, turboing an N/A 3 vs. buying a Speed has it's advantages (and disadvantages) too. For one thing, it would be a lot lighter than a stock Speed3. (2800lbs+ vs. 3400lbs.)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

bro u have to keep in mind that aside from all the money ur gonna be spending on turboin ur car, ur gonna ahve to maintain the car more than u would normally have to. adding a turbo to a naturally aspirated car isnt the same as getting a car with turbo already from the factory.warranties r voided as well. and if u dont ahve the know-how u have no choice but to take it to ashop. and if u dont ahve ne knowledge watso ever, the shop will rip u off. ive seen it happen. if u want a faster car, u can do the simple stuff. intake exhaust and headers. if u still want a turbo, trade the car in for a car that already has it. as far as u learning bout this stuff, its real easy getting info off the net. www.howstuffworks.com always worsk for me. lol
haha thank you so much. that is a website that will probably answer all my questions.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM

my opinion? if you don't know alot, try researching it. www.howstuffworks.com - type in T - U- R - B- O and see what it comes up with. Want to know who sells turbos for the mazda 3? Step 1: www.google.com Step 2: type in Mazda 3 Turbo ...browse the results.

this is a forum to talk about issues. this isn't an issue. its not even a debate. what this is, is you not taking the time to research something you don't know enough about.

i'm sorry but some people need to be flamed on this forum.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM

" So guys, where will i find a turbo? lol "

....and virgin1...honestly? will new/existing members to this forum really get something out of that?

How about... (after some simple research) "Does anyone here own a turbo kit for their 2.0 or 2.3 liter Mazda 3? I'm interested in getting some serious power out of my car and was curious: what do you guys think are the advantage/disadvantages of bolting on a turbo and also, has anyone who installed one had any major problems to date? Thanks"

that question involved little-to-no knowledge of a turbo other than it makes a decent amount of hp/tq. i'd just like to see people posing legitimate questions instead of posting random ramblings - it degrades the quality of the forum.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 AM

speed3 is the way to go for you, u get the warranty with it too. If you already spent the money on a stock3 than i wouldnt even bother turboing it until ur ready to invest in all the peripherals, intake, header, exhaust, new tires, etc.... You also have to keep in mind that this is a front wheel drive car so turboing it is going to add a ****load of torque steer.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: EthereaL

So guys, where will i find a turbo? lol
I think this might be very useful for you to read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo). Gives you very in-depth information and how everything interacts with each other to form the turbo setup.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM

LOL MIKEMZDA3 reminds me alot of dracanious.... is this the same person?!?!?!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

lol nah. I remember a person called Dracanious on this forum though - I haven't been on in awhile though and I haven't seen his posts

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 PM

here is a check list for a turbo build. the engine internals and clutch are optional if you are staying under 7-8 psi, but mandatory if you go above that.

engine:
Forged pistons
Forged rods
heavier gaskets
new HV oil system

clutch:
this is open to speculation, but i would recommend a clutch/flywheel package from fidanza.

exhaust:
you need to open up the exhaust to reduce back pressure. that will make the turbo spool more easily. 2.75-3 inch will be enough to push high horsepower numbers.

boost:
since the car is FWD, you would need something kind of laggy just so that you don't spin the tires all of the time. here, i would recommend the GT28rs which is ceramic and has enough lag to keep from spinning all of the time. you will also need to control this boost and blow off/recirculate the excess. i recommend a BPV from forge and also a MBC from forge. this will be plenty.

fuel:
more air means more fuel. i think that bear minimum, you would need to get some new injectors. i am not incredibly proficient with m3's yet, but i think that you would need somewhere in the range of 440-500cc's. if you go over 300 hp, you would probably want to add a secondary fuel rail, fuel regulator, and 255 fuel pump. also, monitor your fuel mixture with an AFC.

cooling:
you need an intercooler. you could go the route of air-to-air like just about everyone does and you will be just fine. i recommend a decent FMIC kit and possibly a larger fan for the radiator, just to keep the temperatures down that much more. an oil cooler is a good idea as well, but not necessary.

tuning and management:
the best management and controlling comes from stand alone systems. if you want something that is plug and play, good luck. all of the "plug and play" systems require tuning. just pick one and commit, but i recommend not getting a unichip if you are modding the fuel system. everyone has their favorite stand alone, so you need to pick your own.

you can get all of this in one kit from HiBoost or some company like that. there aren't a lot of them out there for the m3 yet, but there will be a lot soon. i have seen greddy kits on some other cars and i was impressed by them, so you could try that route. whichever way that you go, you are looking at about 4-5k installed, but i have seen people spend 10k on a full turbo kit from exhaust manifold, to down pipe, to controllers, to...well, you get the idea.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM

here, let me break my question down for you so you can let it sink into your mind, " So guys (asking the whole), where will i find a turbo?(justlookingfor a simple answer)lol(this is here sonothing gets too serious)". I wasn't expecting some crazy answers, but thank you to those whoare taking their time toput down information. Getting simple answers from everyone would have been much better than getting big ones because it was just a quick question. Of course,inevitably people are going to be opinionated-that is obviously clear, andanswer according tohow theysee MY question from their view. SoI'm not going to counter your arguement.And as for making it a debate, which is hypocritical because we are making it a debate- although im trying not to, then we should both stop leave it as is.

and so you dont have a stick up your ***, i'll post a legitmate question so it doesn't "degrade" the forum.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 3