Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Troubling sound after replacing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Default Troubling sound after replacing brake pads

It sounds to me like the ceramic brakes rubbing, and I’m nearly positive it is happening in conjunction with the wheels turning, as there is a rhythmic sound to it, I believe tied with the rotation of the wheel.

I put on Wearever gold brakes on the front and Wearever platinum brakes on the rear. The car is a FWD 2008 Mazda 3i.

It happens both when I’m driving without the brake pedal depressed and when I’m braking, usually gets worse with heavier braking and at lower speeds.

The car feels fine, I don’t have any trouble actually stopping except the noise, nor is there anything else noticeably wrong with the driving.

Is it possibly something other than the brakes? Screws or something? Wheel bearings? Do I need to bed the brakes? Shouldn’t my driving around afterwards have bed them?

Update

Shifting the car into neutral and letting it coast does not seem out of the ordinary, it retains speed about as I’d expect it to.

There was a smell of burning only when I slammed on the brakes from high speeds, I’d expect the brakes would probably burn a bit on any car doing that maneuver.

I don’t think there was any difficulty in driving the car, it seemed to have no trouble getting up to speed and staying there, it behaved normally at all speeds and all gears.

The sound is definitely worsened by driving slowly and braking hard. The slower I am going and the harder I brake the worse it is. I don’t know if it’s just because I can hear it better at slower speeds due to less wind/road noise, but my gut says that’s not a satisfactory explanation.

Here are some videos so that you can hear the sound.

This video shows the speedometer and you can hear the sound, especially at the end, when I’m braking hard and going slowly:

Here is another video that doesn’t have the odometer but also has the sound:

Could it be a problem with my rotors or with the torque that I tightened things to?