Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Trouble finding infant car seats that fit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Default Trouble finding infant car seats that fit!

I have a 2010 Mazda3 sedan, and we are expecting a baby three weeks from today.

We're having a LOT of trouble finding a car seat that fits. We would prefer to buy a convertible one rather than having to buy two. We did find one infant-only one that sorta fits, but the closest we have come on a convertible is the Britax Marathon 65, which fits in upright (>20 pounds) mode but in infant mode will not fit in the middle seat in the back.

The problem is both my wife and I are quite tall and so we really can't push the seats forward too much - me especially as the only driver, any closer and I start getting my feet caught on the pedals.

We tried the seat in the rear passenger side, and it DOES fit - if the front seat is up so far that nobody can sit there.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Here's three suggestions I found on car-seat.org

Britax MA/DC/BV, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe and the Sunshine Kids Radian

Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Should of bought a 6 if you was looking for space, or a hatch, the sedan dont offer much in the back due to the (what i think is big) trunk. Only other thing i can think of is maybe a racing seat style one, there smaller, lighter, and use a racing harness style which is safer than a standard belt

Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'd really recommend an infant only seat/carrier for when your baby's little. Reason? One they sit your child in a more reclined position which helps compensate for the fact that their necks aren't really strong enough to hold their heads up. Most convertible seats, even in the reclined position, will sit your child far too upright for an infant. Two with a seat/carrier you can remove the seat and leave the bracket in the car. That means when your child falls asleep you can just take the carrier out of the car and leave them strapped in. It makes life far less stressful, especially when going to stores, etc. Many a time my son would fall asleep in the car and we'd just take him inside and let him nap until he woke up before taking him out.

As to fitting like others said the back seat is pretty small. That said a bunch of the seats will actually fit rear facing in the middle and just protrude a bit between the front seats. Both our infant seat (maxi cosi mico) and our converible seats (recaro signo, and como) do this. Granted I'm only 5'8" and my wife's 5'1" so we're not super tall. Still give it a try with it protruding between the seats.