Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

SRS include ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Default SRS include ABS?

Just bought a 2007 Mazda3 I touring. Saw that ABS was an optional feature so I asked the guy at the dealership a million times to make sure it had ABS. He told me it did, and when I asked him how he knew. He showed me a little tag that said SRS. He said the SRS package was a safety package that included ABS and a bunch of air bags. Was he lying to me?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM

SRS only mean "Safety Restraint System", that is only the airbags, it has nothing to do with the braking system.

I believe the i-Touring has the ABS, but don't quote me.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Lev

ABS was an option for the 07 i-touring. If the dealer still has the original window sticker, it should have the ABS/SAB/SAC Package to have ABS. If you check the side of the driver seat and you see a little cloth tab that sticks out and says "Airbag," it has side impact airbags and has ABS. Also, when you turn the key to the on position, the ABS light should come on and stay on for about 3-5 seconds and then turn off. The light says ABS.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Does the ABS light come on when you turn on the ignition?
If the answer is yes, you have ABS. If no, you don't. As simple as that.

BTW: To answert you original question: If you have traction control, you must have ABS as well. The two work together. But, because you have ABS does not mean you also have traction control.
As Alex points out, SRS simply means Safety Restraint System, which you would be hard pressed to find any modern vehicle w/o... front and side bags at least.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

SRS actually stands for Supplemental Restraint System, not "Safety".

Like the others have said the ABS was an option in '07 depending on the trim level. In the first couple of year models the ABS was packaged with the SAB/SAC. In later years (starting in '07 I believe) the Airbags became standard across the board but ABS was still an option. So that means just because you have side airbags doesn't mean you also have ABS.

1) look for the window sticker
2) look for the lights on ignition
3) look at the brake calipers for the ABS power wires.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by icspots
SRS actually stands for Supplemental Restraint System, not "Safety".
You are correct, Sir!! I apologize to everyone, everywhere.
My only excuse for such a momentary lapse of reason is, that I was drunk at the time, had a very busy day, completely burned out a power tube in my Mesa Boogie and was generally tired. Plus had to go BACK to that place (work) today.
Is that one reason?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Whoops, I swear I have seen it as "Safety" somewhere before.
And I was sober.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

You lie..... when were you ever sober?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM

thank you everyone for your responses! i did the ignition test and it passed! i have abs. now, on to the traction control if you guys are willing to continue helping me. i love the mazda3 and how it handles...except in the rain. accelerating from a stopped position in the rain especially if he wheel is turned creates crazy skidding. you guys familiar with any of these issues? can't tell if it's the mazda3, the tires, my heavy foot, or the lack of traction control. any advice including how to check for and activate traction control would be useful. thanks!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Get your foot out of it! LOL
I do not have traction controll and have never had that problem.

Quick Reply: SRS include ABS?