Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

speed 3 sport vs. gt sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Default speed 3 sport vs. gt sound system

I'm going to be buying a speed 3 in the next few days and i'm trying to decide which trim to go with. Theonly feature I really want is the better sound system and I just wanted to see if any owners of either could tell me what they think. I'm looking at a used gt with 9k for 21 and a brand new sport for 23. I personally dont think buying a brand new gt is worth the extra 2 grand for me since leather bolsters, rainsensing wipers, brighter headlights and a theft security system are not that important to me. I'm trying to put a couple grand down and keep the monthly payments close to 400.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Default RE: speed 3 sport vs. gt sound system

i have driven both and spent a lot of time screwing around with the audio systems in both the touring and gt (i work at a mazda dealership). and the gt bose system is amazing personally that is the only reason i would get a gt, is the sounds system.....but you can replace the speakers with aftermarket ones for around $500 and it will sound just as good so it is up to you. my buddy has a touring with a aftermarket sounds system and it sounds damn good you jus have to make sure you are putting good speakers in it dont jus go for the cheapest ones or it will sound worse than stock.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 PM

I have an '07 'Speed3 GT and the BOSE unit sounds really good, but I wouldn't go as far as to rate it as spectacular. Since I'm not an audiophile, the base unit would probably have been fine with me (though admittedly, I've not listened to it), so the BOSE unit certainly more than satisfies my expectations. Sound quality is very subjective and if this is a high priority for you, then you'd be better off going to the dealership(s) and bringing along a sampling of the songs you normally listen to, rather than basing your decision on other people's impressions. Scrutinizing the difference between the 2 units firsthand is the only true way to determine which one you'll be happy with.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 PM

i understand that replacing the audio deck is a bitch since it isn't aftermarket friendly so it'd definitely be replacing speakers if i wanted to do something later on. i pretty much ruled out spending 25k, i'm just a college student who makes good money on the side. so i'll have to see if the better sound system is worth getting a used but also cheaper speed 3 or not. with the sound system aside though, whatwouldyou do?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Personally the only reason I'd go for the GT is for the HID headlights.... so much better than halogens, and it's so much cheaper to put in a sound sytem later than it is to replace or retrofit HIDs into your car.

In any case like SILVERSP33D said you need to go in and see what you think of the bose system. From what I hear on the forums most audiophiles can't stand the bose system, whereas other people think it's great.... very subjective. Remember if you're looking to replace the bose speakers then you need to look for 2 ohm speakers to match what the bose amp puts out...... that will narrow your choices significantly.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: icspots

Personally the only reason I'd go for the GT is for the HID headlights.... so much better than halogens, and it's so much cheaper to put in a sound sytem later than it is to replace or retrofit HIDs into your car.
i beg to differ. HIDs are the easiest mod to do. installing aftermarket speakers is a bitch.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 AM

What size speakers are exactly in the 3?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 AM

i pretty much ruled out spending 25k, i'm just a college student who makes good money on the side. so i'll have to see if the better sound system is worth getting a used but also cheaper speed 3 or not. with the sound system aside though, whatwouldyou do?

Old 12-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Lev

The 2010 Speed3 doesn't even come with HIDs, Rainsensors, or LED tailights. If you want the Bose system in the 2010 you will be spending $25,000 and not even get those extra perks that a GT comes with. My opinion is go with the used. It's cheaper. I'm a college student too, so I'd be thinking about my college loan payments coming, unless you have school all paid for. It only has 9,000 miles, and you'll still be happy with the car. Besides, the older model looks a lot better, IMO.