Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

specific upgrades = how much horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Default specific upgrades = how much horsepower??

lets say i was to get a k&n cold air, and maybe a magnaflow or another exhaust. what would my horsepower increase be. I have the 2.0L 4 cyl sedan and its just not quite powerful enough. Im not looking for a ton of horsepower, but if i was to get somewere between 10-15, would i even feel it.

I mean, I know this is probably impossible to explain in words, but what would a gain like that feel like. i've driven a V6, im sure it wouldnt feel like that, but comparing the two, would it feel a little closer...

im totally stumped, and i'd rather not use money and not feel jump in acceleration or speed.

any other ways for reasonable money that i can add horsepower??

I'm sure 200 horses is completely unrealistic considering its the 2.0L, but i'd love to get it up there closer to 160 or 170, probably not gona get there either though...[&:]. Im well aware that BIG horsepower gains come from turbos, but thats obviously not an option. so the more bolt-ons and low cost things I can do to get this thing moving a little faster, thats the best thing for me.

thanks for the help.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: specific upgrades = how much horsepower??

Well, someone keeps pushing unichip on this site. Only thing is, if you have an 07 like me, you'll be waiting cause they aint got em for us yet.

I also have the 2.slow sedan and let me tell you what. This car kicks all my previous cars ***** and then pisses on thier corpses. 97 eclipse has nothing on this car. Then again, it wasn't a 5spd. I can't believe I got this kinda power for what I payed.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM

i'll cut to the chase- look it up. you can find exactly what your searching for on manufacturers web pages (the major ones atleast...) I know for a fact K&N and Magnaflowshow dyno results- visit theirweb pages.

if you throw an intake on, you'll feel it pull more on the highway and during passing.you'll feel a few hp added with an exhaust - car will seem a little quicker. in my opinion...if the dyno chartsays ur guna get 5 more hp and some tq, you're guna feel it in the seat. turbos and forced induction are pretty much the only ways to get the huge gains. good luck and happy searching =)

Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 PM

The three basic bolt-ons are the only things available and work,thatsintake, exhaust, and headers, all in all it doesnt really matter what brand intake and exhaustu get, it comes down to two things really with those upgrades and thats size and quality,as for the headers, there are three or four companies out there and thats Thunder, OBX (nothing but trouble with those), and the only one that seems to give the most hq and tq is vibrant...down side is its expensive as hell, another plus though is you are definitly getting what you pay for compared to the other two brands, as MrTea and others have said the "unichip" doesnt really work. Id say even with these three things installed you MIGHT come close to 150 to the wheels and like 165ish at the crank. Now you can throw on the intake manifold from cosworth or individual throttlebodies (both expensive as hell) and underdrive pullies from srmotorsports, but these things WILL throw a cel. Also if you have an auto u can throw in some vavlebodies and a tq convorter but that would be close to a grand right there, and the usual short shifter, lightweight flywheel upgrades for the manual.