Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Slow at picking up speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Default RE: Slow at picking up speed

what the fudge...ill take a look at that later today and see if it helps

Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 PM

I think it's got to do with the fact that it weighs 1.2 tons.... that's a mini tank, you know what I mean? If you have what we have over here in Asia (1.6l)....it does not move off slow...it crawls... but I'm fine with my 3.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Tracker

that has only happened to me in auto mode never happened to me before in manual, is it supposed to do that?
I own a Mazda6, and the manual for it says it will downshift even in manual mode if it thinks it needs more power.

To me, that kinda defeats the whole purpose of a manual shift... but ha, oh well!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:00 PM

do you have any know-how with installing a complete grounding wire kit?

Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 AM

would this fix lag time between shifts for autosport?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:07 PM

I haven't done the grounding kit... but from what I have heard, there is noticeably better performance when you have the stock air box. When you have an aftermarket air intake, you can barely tell the difference when installed, but this kit does in fact work as soon as it is installed. It's just easier to tell that it is working if you dont have an aftermarket intake. I would recommend doing the install yourself by purchasing the parts at a local hardware store, the kits that companies make are overpriced and they are universal so they wont fit exactly to your car.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:27 PM

Ok let me make a few responses.
The ground upgrade is VERY recommended. I did mine and it increased the transmissions shift time and the acceleration. Why you ask? Cause now the car is getting the "energy" it needs to go! Kinda like when you're weight lifting and you get really sluggish. So you drink a powerade or energy drink! All I did was take the paint off and change the ground wire to a 0 gauge. But even if you keep the factory wire and just remove the paint it will get rid of the hesitation and stallling. It might cost $5 for 2 feet of 0 gauge power wire from a stereo installer shop like Best Buy. Then maybe $10 for a new battery terminal to hold the new 0 gauge wire.
As for the manual versus auto shifting. I have the tap shift and always use it. This is what it does. When you have it in manual it WONT shift by itself when accelerating. I found this out when I was racing another car and forgot to shift at redline and the car just started freakin out without shifting itself. It wont shift when accelerating at any gear. BUT when you are slowing down and in manual it WILL down shift by itself at any speed. Its cool to me cause it still acts like a manual but with the safety of not killing your tansmission by trying to stop in 4th gear. No matter what, you cant go from a dead stop to 3rd or fourth. And you cant go from 3rd or fourth then all the sudden to first. It mainly depends on how fast you are going also cause I can go like 70 in 3rd at redline and it wont let me shift to 2nd cause it knows the RPM's will go off scale and screw up the tranny. In my opinion its a really smart system. I wouldnt buy any vehichle unless it has this system. And these days more vehichles are going to this. It just takes a little getting use too cause at times I forget to shift cause I also use it auto (most of the time). I only use it in manual when I want to prove I have something under the hood!
But you cant go wrong with the grounding upgrade!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:49 PM

OK well I tried out what capernicus said about scrapping off the paint and believe it or not it does make a difference, so major props to you for finding that solution. Thanks!!

Old 03-16-2006, 05:27 PM

I had not even heard about the grounding fix we can do until reading this thread. i will have to do that for sure and see what happens, if it is such a quick fix, like you say, i may have tp upgrade my ground wire as well. where exactly is the battery grounded to, I need to know that before i start unhooking stuff and scraping paint away.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:43 PM

if you look above the left wheel well theres a black wire connected to the metal washer thing . Its screwed on to the frame. Just unscrew that and scrape of the paint under it. Thats about all you need to do. Let me know what happens.

Quick Reply: Slow at picking up speed